Computer Help forum

General discussion

corrupted download

by sportmom222 / August 19, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

I am having problems downloading the game "OceanDive" from the download.com site on the internet. I get the "corrupted download" message everytime, and later get a message about a problem with "prism" file, that happens to be the first one in the installation process of the program. The corrupted message comes up after installing the program on my computer. I have DSL at 32bps and Windows XP professional OS. I have a top of the line 64meg video card, and 256 meg of ram, so plenty of memory too. I don't know what the problem is except it may be my McAfee Security Suite software causing my problem. But I do not know how to configure it so as not to cause any downloading problems for me, if that is the problem in this case. Any help you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated. I have also contacted Help & Support at download.com by sending them an email to this effect. I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question soon, as I would like to have this game/screensave program "OceanDive" on my desktop computer. Also, I would like to know if there is a website that has live chat where a person could get help with a problem like this. Thank you for your time. sportmom222.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: corrupted download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: corrupted download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Corrupted Download
by kwkid / August 19, 2006 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: corrupted download

Dear sportmom,

I see this is your first post to the c|Net forums, so welcome aboard. Hopefully we will help you to resolve this issue.

I must admit that reading your post was somewhat confusing. You state that you have a "top of the line 64 meg video card" and yet top of line in todays standards are 256 meg or higher. You also state that you have 256 meg of ram, running on Win XP Pro. There are many posts here that will alert you that this is the minimum amount of memory for XP Pro. You also state that you have DSL at 32bps. May I assume this is just a typographical error? The first commercially available modem, in 1978, had a 150bps rate, almost five times faster than what you state as having for DSL.

Could you please give us more information about your computer and modem setup? If you aren't sure, just let us know. It is better to be unsure than to try and solve a problem with erroneous information. In the meantime, I will try and find this program "Ocean Dive" and download it and check it out and see if it is corrupted on my end.

Collapse -
Corrupted File
by kwkid / August 19, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

Well I was able to download the file and install without any errors. While looking at their website, I did find this little nugget of information:

"

Collapse -
Corrupted file
by sportmom222 / August 19, 2006 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Corrupted File

My internet connection is DSL. Apparently I was wrong about the speed. I haven't kept up with the latest in hardware, most obviously. I have enough of what I need to have this game I am wanting. There is an error message about .prism3 file problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with the download being corrupted, because I noticed that is the first file installed in the installation process. I need to know what to do. Is the problem in my internet connection, or with my computer? Where would I find internet connection speed information? I would be happy to double check that for you, if I knew where to look for it. Thank you for your time. sportmom222

Collapse -
Corrupted download
by kwkid / August 19, 2006 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Corrupted file

Well since two of us have been able to download the file and install without problems, I suspect the issue is with the computer. I can't really see the connection being a problem.

Try this:

Click Start
Click Run
type dxdiag and press enter

this will run a direct x diagnostics. What I'm looking for is whether you have DirectX9 or better installed, as this is required to run the program.

when the diagnostic screen opens:

click display tab

in the box labeled drivers look for DDI version. It should say 9 or higher. If it doesn't, this is clearly a problem and should be corrected before anything else. Let us know and we can proceed from there.

Collapse -
Corrupted download
by sportmom222 / August 20, 2006 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Corrupted download

I have run the direct X diagnostic. In the section labeled Drivers, it says: Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Version: 6.14.10.5214 (English) Signed: Yes
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys VDD:

there is nothing shown in the area for VDD:

Direct Draw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct 3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

There are Test buttons for DDAcceleration and D3DAcceleration.

I guess this means I need to get a more current version/driver for DirectX.
Let me know what to do. Thank you again for your time, and your help. sportmom222

Collapse -
Ocean Drive
by byker49 / August 19, 2006 11:46 AM PDT

I also downloaded and installed the screensaver. It went ok. But all the "game features" are disabled in the shareware version (which this is). To do the game stuff you would have to purchase the program. In my opinion you will be happier either getting a game or a screensaver but the game/screensaver combo is not usually very entertaining.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?