Computer Help forum

General discussion

Corrupt Files on PC Need to Fix Them

by shepujw / December 13, 2006 2:37 AM PST

I have a Windows 2000 machine with two hard drives C: and D: (C: has windows, software, and my documents, D: has backup stuff). My PC was running very slow so I decided I wanted to reformat, then reinstall windows. I copied the "My Documents" folder from C: to D: to back up the files. Next I made sure the files made it to D: and that the files worked. Next I reformatted C and reinstalled Windows. Yesterday I went to copy back "My Documents" from D: to C: and the majority of the files are corrupt. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Were you able to fix the corrupted files? If so How?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupt Files on PC Need to Fix Them
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupt Files on PC Need to Fix Them
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly yes. The outlook is grim but a lesson about backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 6:52 AM PST

Hard disks are not a proper backup. Those that try this and fail often reply with "don't tell me about backup, help me fix my files." The problem is how can you mend a corrupt file like this?

The outlook is grim and sadly another page for the lesson book about backups.

The only hope is that you only installed Windows 2000 but forgot the motherboard drivers and service packs. I ran into cases where the owner was trying to get to their files before the OS install was completed.

Bob

Collapse -
I Guess I Learned My Lesson
by shepujw / December 13, 2006 11:05 PM PST

I definately learned my lesson. From now on I am going to back up everything that is personal to me once a week. The main files that I lost that is bugging me the most are my sons 2nd birthday photos. I have all of my other photos backed up to DVD's.

I installed all of my drivers (motherboard, video card, etc.) and the service packs.

Why would this happen? Has this happened to anyone else? Were you able to recover your files?

Like I mentioned before, I copied "My Documents" from C: to D:. Next, I verified that all of the files were there. Then, I Re-Formatted and Re-Installed Windows 2000 on C:. Next, I copied the files from D: back to C:. I tried to open some of my photos and they will not open. I opened one of the files in a Hex Editor and I know for sure the Header Information is corrupt. The entire file may be corrupt as well though.

Does anyone know of any software that can fix the files or of any data recovery experts that can fix the files for me?

Collapse -
A "why" I know about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 11:59 PM PST

In the case of Windows 2000, the Microsoft CD is either Windows 2000 or (better) Windows 2000 SP1. If I take a recent case the second drive was over 127GB which is not supported by either CD. The owner installed the OS but the drive was attached. Either Microsoft or the owner tried to access the drive or ran chkdsk before SP3 and motherboard drivers were install. It scrambled the data.

Windows 2000 is pretty good but owners of it "gotta know" it's quirks to avoid this one.

Another recurring theme is the use of other than Microsoft disk partition software. I don't want to enter into a debate here but my lesson here is to use what the OS provides or be ready for trouble. If I can't determine who or what partitioned a drive I've been known to back it all off and start fresh on the drive.

Bob

Collapse -
That's what happened!!!
by shepujw / December 14, 2006 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: A "why" I know about.

I know that is what happened. After I re-installed windows, Windows must have accessed the drive, found what it thought was an error, chkdsk ran before I did the updates and scrambled the data.

Is there anyway to fix that?

Let me guess another big no.

Do you think a company like DriveSavers could fix the corruption?

The data is very corrupted. I tried to play a video I made with my digital camera that is on the drive and it started playing a Creed MP3 file.

Collapse -
Call and ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2006 5:35 AM PST

I wonder how I guessed that one. (Actually it's because I've seen people do that too often.)

I don't work for drivesavers so I can't tell what they can do for this damage.

Bob

Collapse -
Saving FILES
by castingRod47 / December 15, 2006 2:43 AM PST

I decide early in a Project about SAVING Files to CD or DVD..
I also use Ext. HDD's..in 2.0 USB..
Auto Recover in Windows has never failed me..and has saved my files at least 10-X..my FAV. about:WINDOWS is Auto-Recovery.

Collapse -
Windows 2000 Auto-Recovery? and I GOT MY IMAGES BACK!!
by shepujw / December 17, 2006 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: Saving FILES

Does Windows 2000 have Auto-Recovery? If so where is it?

In the future I am going to backup everything to a DVD before I start a project. I was going to do that before I started this project, but I thought "I don't have to copy my files to a DVD, I have a second hard drive".

I was able to get back a lot of pictures off of my Re-Formatted C: drive by using MediaRECOVER. I downloaded the trial version and let it run the deep scan. After four hours or so of scanning it gave me a list of the lost files. The best part about the trial version is that it allows you to preview image files (JPEG's, BMP's, GIF's, etc.) I went through the list previewing some of the image files and lo and behold I seen some of my lost images. I immediately bought the software for $29.95 and recovered around 14 gigabytes of images. After the files were recovered (to a different hard drive) I burned them to three DVD's. Now I have the task of going through those 14 gigabytes and finding the images I really need. The best part is that after a quick glance through the images I have found six images from my son's second birthday! I will likely find more! You would not believe how happy I felt when I seen that it recovered one lost photo!

For anyone who has lost images or files for that matter I recommend downloading the trial version of MediaRECOVER. I have tried a lot of other software packages (i.e. FileRecovery from PC Inspector, JPEG Recovery, NTFS Recovery, Free Undelete) but this one seems like it is the best. The best part is that you can preview the image files.

http://www.mediarecover.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.