Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Corrupt files and more

by meingh / January 23, 2006 2:35 PM PST

Yesterday I started getting a bunch of corrupt file messages while running XP pro S2. I was told to run chkdsk each time. Then the computer just started re-starting it's self over and over again. Sometimes after being on for 5 minutes sometimes 30. I re-installed windows deleting the old partions and starting from scratch with a full format. The mystery shut downs have disappeared but I have a new set of problems. I get the odd corrupt file message but I can;t seem to install ome programs. Office will not install for me. it keeps asking me to find different missing dll files which are clearly on the cd. i tried copying the files to a hard drive and pointing setup to thembut that didn't work either. i have two cd drives and it is does it on both. My power supply is fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on here.

Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupt files and more
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupt files and more
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad Sectors
by phantazy / January 23, 2006 4:06 PM PST
In reply to: Corrupt files and more

What age is your hard disk? Does check disk come up with bad sectors? Try Chkdsk in Recovery Console with parameters /r /p.

Collapse -
Chkdsk Results
by meingh / January 24, 2006 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Bad Sectors

I would say that chkdsk found a problem half the time when I ran it both before and after the format. Probrbly a total of 1o times with 5 or more errors. Hopefully that makes sense. I will try the recovery console when I get home today. what does /p / r do?

Collapse -
New Hard Drive ??
by danthelanman / January 24, 2006 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Chkdsk Results

Is there any specific reason your not simply installing a new Hard Drive? You seem to be adequately prepared as you've already re-partitioned-re-formatted and re-installed Windows.

If chkdsk is finding errors 50% of the time, and usually 5 or more, even if you were to get the system stable, I'd expect the problems to start re-occurring some time in the future.

My $.02 - change out the harddrive before spending much effort on this drive or looking for other causes.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by meingh / January 24, 2006 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: New Hard Drive ??

Thanks for your comments. The reason I am not just installing a new drive is because I am by no means a hardware expert and want to check if there were common causes for the problem I am having. Possibly a bad cable or something I hadn't thought off. Based on everyones response it is probably safe to assume I need a new drive. Thanks for the help Happy

Collapse -
and did you install the motherboard drivers?
by Melati Hitam / January 23, 2006 4:12 PM PST
In reply to: Corrupt files and more

but then again, it maybe your motherboard is dying...

Collapse -
All drivers are installed.
by meingh / January 24, 2006 12:02 AM PST

The problem started before I formatted and at that point had been running fine for over a year.

Collapse -
New Hard Drive ??
by danthelanman / January 24, 2006 2:09 AM PST

Is there any specific reason your not simply installing a new Hard Drive? You seem to be adequately prepared as you've already re-partitioned-re-formatted and re-installed Windows.

If chkdsk is finding errors 50% of the time, and usually 5 or more, even if you were to get the system stable, I'd expect the problems to start re-occurring some time in the future.

My $.02 - change out the harddrive before spending much effort on this drive or looking for other causes.

Good Luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!