Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Corrupt E-Mail??

Several months ago, I started receiving an e-mail with nothing in the From: line and nothing in the Subject line. The only identifying material is my first and last name.

For several months now, e-mail I send is NOT being received. It does not bounce back and it does not get hung up in my Outbox. Recipients tell me that it is not in their Spam or Delete files.

I have a Dell desktop running Windows XP Home Ed. Comcast is my ISP. I use Moxilla. I have a current BitDefender anti-virus, Ad-Aware, Ewido and a couple of other anti-malware and spyware programs.

This is what I've done: Run a current virus scan. Run all the anti-malware/spyware programs and they all come out clean. I had heard that perhaps one of the anti-spyware/malware programs may be causing the problem. I uninstalled them. I still get the blank e-mail. I paid Microsoft to look into the problem and they have not been able to help. I was using Outlook Express and thinking that may be the problem downloaded Windows Live Mail. The problem persists. Comcast says the problem is NOT on their end. The problem exists if I use Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail or Comcast. I should also add that the computer has not performing up to par: slow, crashes.

Here's what appears in the text of the e-mail:

font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;
}

#ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {
font:115% monospace;
*font-size:100%;
}

#ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height: 1.22em;
}

#ygrp-mlmsg #logo {
padding-bottom: 10px;
}

#ygrp-mlmsg a {
color: #1E66AE;
}

#ygrp-msg p a {
font-family: Verdana;
}

#ygrp-msg p#attach-count span {
color: #1E66AE;
font-weight: 700;
}

#ygrp-reco #reco-head {
color: #ff7900;
font-weight: 700;
}

#ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom: 20px;
padding: 0px;
}

#ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {
font-size: 130%;
text-decoration: none;
}

#ygrp-sponsor #ov li {
font-size: 77%;
list-style-type: square;
padding: 6px 0;
}=20

#ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {
margin: 0;
padding: 0 0 0 8px;
}

#ygrp-text {
font-family: Georgia;
}

#ygrp-text p {
margin: 0 0 1em 0;
}

#ygrp-text tt {
font-size: 120%;
}

#ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right: none !important;=20
}=20
-->
</style>
</head>

<!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->
</html>
<!-- end group email -->

--pVGxgFoYOyoJnZKOqdXGeXtx-r8-WkTnFaYLniH

On Nov. 21 and 22nd I received e-mail with nothing in the from line, nothing in the subject line, just my name and the following text:
------=_NextPart_000_007C_01CA6B71.8FAE6D10--

When I look at Message source under Properties this is what I get:

G3G4V52uoSiXiOHp6H/Gta0168i4WO3Ix3Df40Aj0iVT9hCKpJAx0qsbS6ns/JRS27jOK5q38U
XylR9nsW5/iRv/iq7vQ/G15bIFGlaJL7yRSH/wBnrhxeM9jFytc78FgvrE+W9jCt/B2sXOSlrKw9
xXTaV8LdYv7gLLbyxLxnaleg6V8UNTteE0Dwwwz/ABQTf/Ha7mw+Nuu2inZ4a8Gvx/HbXH9JhXwe
YcaYqDcaVNfN/wDAPscJwphuXmqVH8kv8zmNG+CM8t/EZIpCq4JylenX3wmMGgbPs6ogX0rPP7RH
ixIgI/DvguPjqtrcf/H6xdQ/aF8ZXFo8b6R4VCkfw20+f/R1fCVeIOI8Ri4tzgo9k3/kfU0ctymj
QajB3fp/mfP3xI8KRaHc+bGpXLcmvHO9eo+P/HWq69uN5Z6XFnn9zG4/m5rx0XkhI+WP8j/jX7hl
U6ksNF1Hdn5Vm0KccTJQWho0VQN3Jj7sf5Uhu5Nv3U/KvSVzyzQorL+2y5+7H+R/xpft0v8AcjP4
H/GrKRp0yT/j2l/3G/lVAX02D8sY/A/40jXkjwspSMAgjgH/ABoC5//Z

------=_NextPart_000_007C_01CA6B71.8FAE6D10--

Ok, anyone out there that can help me??????

Thank you.

Sheldon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupt E-Mail??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupt E-Mail??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Expert: Just A W.A.G.....

In reply to: Corrupt E-Mail??

Does this E-mail seem to be encrypted?! Thinking maybe some one is mailing you using an encryption program & some how you never got the key which may have lost in transit or deleted not realizing what is was?

Second thought: You've been the victim of an encryption Trojan program
which normally encrypts a whole mess of files then demands ransom for the key. I have never heard of that for "e-mail" ransom but possible & maybe bug in the trojan prevented you from getting/ being able to view the ransom demand? Any/what other files subject to this ?

Just a W.A.G. to be sure. Hopefully others will jump in with other suggestions & maybe where to get encryption breaker program or method to by pass? Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Not Sure This Matches But check:

In reply to: No Expert: Just A W.A.G.....

Collapse -
Now It's Infected Windows Live Mail

In reply to: Not Sure This Matches But check:

Thanks for the responses. For the heck of it I ran my Browser Hijack Blaster and it revealed attempts to hijack. I was able to delete the attempts. However, at no time was my browser hijacked. But, that seemed to do the trick as I was able to successfully send and receive e-mail and the computer worked fine. However, the next day I received the same type of e-mail on Windows Live mail that I had been receiving on Outlook Express.

I've printed out the Symantec information but I think using it is a little more than I can handle. I have several accounts with Comcast and this, whatever it is, appeared in one particular inbox.

Does this additional information help?

Sheldon

Collapse -
I'm Going To Suggest Trying

In reply to: Now It's Infected Windows Live Mail

the current standbys in hopes of finding more info. Please download & install & update & run the two items in this post #14 of 17 by Grif (MBAM & SAS):
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?threadID=357905&tag=forums06;forum-threads

as well as CCleaner "Slim" Version":
http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp
All have Free versions.

Suggest install & run CCleaner first to lessen junk load on the next two. Run MBAM First then SAS. Let them fix all they find. Each will create a report in text of what they found. You could copy & paste results with next reply.

Do you have any of the various "Messenger" type programs active?
I keep seeing "xx-msg" in your description and suspect the entry may be via ms messenger which also has a back channel in Outlook & I suspect in Live mail also. Hopefully, you have sec. setting on that set to "plain text only" which might explain why you're seeing this as opposed to a graphic display of some type? Clearly it's re-activating itself when you reboot you computer so what ever it is, it probably listed in the start run folder. Look there for any strange entry.

Re- Symantec info: IF , after running a start>search>all files & folders for the crypto extension mentioned, you don't have any found then Symantec item likely NOT what you have so discard it.

Let us know results please. & Patience is needed during such trials!
Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.