HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Corrupt downloads

by Punxthps / October 9, 2007 3:07 PM PDT

Lots of things I try to download come up corrupt. They will download 100% with no interruptions but when I try to install it says the installer is corrupt. I'm only running an AVG Free A/V program and windows firewall. I reformatted my computer recently hoping to fix this because it started happening before, so windows is fresh, 2 days, and I havent been connected to the internet much and no downloading off of unrespected sites. The download worked on a different computer and then I transfered the file through aim to this PC and it was corrupt. Any solutions? I remember when I first got this computer I had an nvidia firewall installed and changing an activearmor setting fixed this, but I avoided installing the firewall this time in attempt to avoid having to do such, but that didnt work. Some downloads will work with the /NCRC command, but some dont.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupt downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupt downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
attempt a download after disabling your firewall and see if
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Corrupt downloads

it turns out OK. If it does you'll know where the problem is. If not then try and reinstall the installer. Are you using bit torrent by chance? Others are availalbe from downloads.com.

Collapse -
hn
by Punxthps / October 9, 2007 3:24 PM PDT

No I havent installed any torrent programs on this yet. These are all of reputable websites with respected and well known programs.

I just tried download winamp and the download was corrupt, but I downloaded Steam no more than 30 minutes ago and it works flawlessy. The main thing I want is a game called silkroad which is not working. My ventrilo is having problems too, but thats another story.

And its just windows firewall, you think that would do something like that? I have the exception allowed for firefox, but Ill try disabling and trying anyways, and let you know whats up

Collapse -
didnt help
by Punxthps / October 9, 2007 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: hn

I disabled windows firewall and tried downloading a plugin from last.fm for winamp, which winamp lite worked, but not full and the source file was corrupt and would not install.

Collapse -
next
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: didnt help

how about the uninstaller?

Collapse -
sorry
by Punxthps / October 9, 2007 3:42 PM PDT
In reply to: next

uninstaller to what? I cant get any of the programs to install, so the only file I have is Installers. I dont think you can uninstall windows firewall ethier, its not a third party firewall.

Collapse -
Sure you can
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry

start>control panel>Windows Defender>open>choose fire wall

Collapse -
My self
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: next

I don't use bit torrent or it's similar clones because it disassembles programs down loads all the sections at once then puts them back together. When it puts them together I think there a errors/corruption created. This does not show up quickly but slowly over time the accumulation of many minor errors begin to appear and then you have a problem. That's just my opinion. I have no proof just a suspicion

Speaking of many tiny errors when was the last time you defraged your system?

Collapse -
Actually
by Jimmy Greystone / October 9, 2007 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: My self

Actually, BitTorrent does MD5 hash checking on both the individual sections of the file as it downloads and the completed file. If a downloaded section fails the hash check, then it discards it and downloads it again. It's actually one of the most reliable methods of downloading a file, or set of files. Furthermore, defragmenting does not do any kind of error checking. If you have a corrupt file, it will still be a corrupt file after defragmenting. Scandisk/Checkdisk does some error checking, but it won't be any help with corrupted downloads.

I would also like to offer up to the original poster that corrupted downloads is often the result of bad RAM. You might try running one of those memory testing programs like MemTest86+ overnight, to see how yours stacks up.

Collapse -
Sorry had problems with bit torrent
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually

my experience says stay away. We just agree to disagree or maybe just I do. I've also had good success with RAM optimizers as well but that's how I see it, you disagree, so be it.

Collapse -
You are talking about the downloader that you would use to
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 3:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Corrupt downloads

download a program from the net. You know the wizard that opens up when you want software from the net to install on your computer. Just checking.

Collapse -
(NT) still there?
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 4:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Well I haven't heard from you in awhile,
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 4:20 PM PDT
In reply to: still there?

must of skipped out. By now you should have been able to determine if the fire wall was the problem. This is what I would have said had you returned. First I apologize for using the term uninstaller, this created confusion. Second it will be very difficult to replace Windows installer that you say you are using, so next you should get one from downloads.com. Again I would avoid a bit torrent type downloader for the reasons I've stated. This is only my opinion. I did suggest that you defrag your machine. The problem could be as simple as this.

You have one other possible solution, you could go to Microsoft and down load an advanced installer from there site. This would be difficult, they are hard to find. You might search Technet or MSDN to obtain one. Good luck.

Collapse -
sorry
by Punxthps / October 10, 2007 1:19 AM PDT

Ifell asleep. I defragged and got a clean download of a few things. Ill try the main thing that is making me want this bad, its 867 mb so itll be a while. But im off to school, Ill repost in a few hours

Collapse -
still a problem.
by Punxthps / October 12, 2007 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry

Hey everyone this is still aproblem, i havent gotten able to work with any of these suggestions, but I havent been able to run a memory tester as I cant get one downloaded from this computer and I olny have limited access to my sisters computer, anything else a possible solution other than running the memory tester or is that like pretty much last option right now?

Collapse -
Choose one, if it doesn't work choose another.
by Dango517 / October 12, 2007 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: still a problem.
Collapse -
Dango, just curious.
by BrianZachary / October 12, 2007 10:16 PM PDT

You provided a link for a list of free installers, those are used to create your own installers. I don't think that's the problem. He's having trouble downloading programs, ones that come with their own installers already, unless I've misread his first post. I refer to just the first post because in the last post he said the problem is still happening.

Collapse -
correct,
by Punxthps / October 13, 2007 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Dango, just curious.

Im downloading programs that have their own installers, like ventrilo, winamp, silkroad, aim, etc. Im running the ewido thing now, Ill post what I get.

Collapse -
Alternatives.
by BrianZachary / October 12, 2007 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: still a problem.

It sounds to me that you may have a virud or something on your computer that may be corrupting files, since the one you transferred from a different computer was ok on that one but was corrupted after being transferred.

This is an online scanner that you will scan your computer from a website and it will allow you to clean up any infected files it finds:

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Have you tried a different downloader than the default Windows one? Download Accelerator Plus is the best one I've found. It has built-in ZoneAlarm scanner so it should help to determine if files are getting corrupted while downloading or if they become corrupted after they have been downloaded to your computer. You will have to download the installer for the program though and that may end up corrupted itself, but it may be worth a try anyway.

Windows Firewall is the default firewall provided by Microsoft and it may be work ok, but I still trust just about any other program to do a better job. I use PC Tools Firewall Plus. It is easy to use and it's free and it works good for me. There are a few different ones and most are better than what you get with Windows. Again, another download, but worth s try.

I hope this helps you.

Collapse -
eh nothing
by Punxthps / October 13, 2007 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Alternatives.

nothing on ewido. Just tracking cookies, that I removed anyways

Collapse -
RAM
by jsalpha2 / October 14, 2007 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: eh nothing

IF you have 2 or more sticks of RAM try shutting down your computer, grounding yourself, and removing all but 1 stick. If you can download a memtest program successfully now, the stick in the computer is probably ok. Test the others. If you are still getting errors try a different single stick. You may need to burn the memtest to a CD and run at boot depending on what one you use. Google memtest86. Also Microsoft makes a memory diagnostic tool.
Good Luck.

Collapse -
memtest.
by Punxthps / October 15, 2007 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: RAM

so i was able to get a cd of memtest burned and ran it. I let it go for 7 hours while I was at work and got a ton of errors on alot of the 9 tests and not so many 0 or few errors. Only test 1 and 9 had 0 errors and the rest had like 15k+. I ended up with about 220k errors. and like 6 passes? Idk what all this means, Im guessing that my ram is bad though?

Collapse -
ram i run
by Punxthps / October 15, 2007 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: memtest.
Collapse -
its bad memory..
by mementh / October 15, 2007 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: memtest.

you have been lucky not to get a Blue screen of death!!!!

I would test one stick a a time.. then put two in. and test.. the three and so on and so on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.