General discussion

Core i3 with 1G ATI HD550v/5470 or i5 with Intel GMA HD?

Hi, I am trying to buy a laptop for my brother and I don't know which to value more, the graphic card or the processor? My brother likes to play games but I want the best option for him in the long run (i.e. he won't play much game later on).

Here are the options:

-Core i3 with separated graphic card:
Inspiron 15R - N5010
Inspiron 15R
Processor: Intel Core i3-370M Processor (3M cache, 2.40 GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
8X DVD +/- RW Drive
1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD550v, 64-Bit, DDR3

Inspiron 17R - N7010
Inspiron 17R
Processor: Intel Core i3-350M Processor (2.26GHz, 3M cache)
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
8X DVD +/- RW Drive
1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

-Core i5 with Intel Graphic HD:

Inspiron 15R - N5010
Inspiron 15R
Processor: Intel Core i5-450M Processor (3M cache, 2.40 GHz)
640 GB SATA II Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
8X DVD +/- RW Drive
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Core i3 with 1G ATI HD550v/5470 or i5 with Intel GMA HD?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Core i3 with 1G ATI HD550v/5470 or i5 with Intel GMA HD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No prices?

I've been shopping the 14 and 15r models and today's results is that the deal for the 14r is at best buy. The deal for the 15r is to order it from walmart.com.

As to gaming and the Intel GMA, let's just write it's fine for videos but gaming is rarely a happy experience.
Bob

- Collapse -
Graphic Card or Processor?

Prices are about the same from where I am looking.

I understand that the Intel GMA is not as suitable for gaming as the ATI HD graphic cards. I am wondering whether it is better to have a slower processor with a faster graphic card (Core i3 + 1GB ATI HD 550v/5470) than to have a faster processor and slower graphic card (Core i5 + Intel GMA HD).

- Collapse -
Sorry.

For gaming the graphic chip makes the difference. If there are games to be played, get the ATI with 1GB video ram.

If videos and card games, the Intel GMA is fine.

Again, the better CPU won't help the GMA.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info