Laptops forum

General discussion

Core Duo vs Pentium M

by peter.roche / March 20, 2006 5:32 AM PST

I am looking to buy a new 'thin and light' notebook. I have been reading the reviews, and the Dell XPS M140 (with the regular pentium m processor) is at the top of the charts in both performance and battery life according to the BAPCo MobileMark 2005. The M140 had a performance score of 238 and battery life of 354.

Yet the HP Pavillion dv1000t (with the new Core Duo processor) had lower scores. The dv1000t had both a performance score of 232 and battery life of 232. The performance is only 6 points shy of the M140 (238-232=6) but the battery life is 122 less (354-232=122).

Here is a link the the review I am talking about...

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Pavilion_dv1000t/4505-3121_7-31692317-2.html?tag=sub

I was reading a review of the new Core Duo processor. And it is supposed to give a performance increase of approx. 30% while reducing power consumption by nearly 30%.

Here is a link the that review...

http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-6410042.html?tag=promo2

So my question is... Why is the single core M140 out performing the dual core dv1000t in every category?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Core Duo vs Pentium M
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Core Duo vs Pentium M
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too Soon
by Baroness loraca / April 12, 2006 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Core Duo vs Pentium M

I have seen these reviews and it is because they released the core duo too soon! Secondly a lot depends on the ram installed ! The centrino has been around for a while and the core duo for all the hype, I have only seen one test where it outperformed the centrino all things being equal.
That was in the new Apple laptop, go figure!

Collapse -
but don't the core duos run quieter?
by pottok / April 13, 2006 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Too Soon

A huge issue for me is quiet running on a notebook and I have been led to believe that the dual core ones are quieter.

The Dell one I tried for a day or so was quiet. Macs are quiet!
Do they generally run cooler as have the 2 processors as that would be reason enough for me as am not a gamer

Collapse -
No, they don't run quieter
by nathanpsz2 / April 13, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

There are two chips on one die, which produces more heat, so the fan has to run faster, therefore producing more noise. But I'd get the Core Duo just to be prepared for the future when all apps are multi-threaded.

Collapse -
quieter compared to?
by Baroness loraca / April 16, 2006 9:03 AM PDT

As it was pointed out it has a lot to do with the fan. I think preparing for the future is true. I have yet to experience a "loud" laptop. I have however had the fan come on quietly when it got hot! Given that we love fast and powerful that is the nature of the beast..for now.

Collapse -
About the fan...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 16, 2006 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: quieter compared to?

Hi !

I read a review of the Dell Inspiron 6400. This model of Dell has the Intel Core Duo processor ( very powerful ! Read the review of this processor on http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/centrino-duo.html ).

The review is speacking about the fan. This last is starting only when you demand all the performances of the processor. Even if you watch a DVD, the fan doesn't start. When the guy did the benchmarks, it only turned on the fisrt speed ( it has at least three ) and the cooling system of this laptop is very effective and the fan is running quietly on the two first speeds.

Read the review there : http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2827

But between the Core Duo and the Pentium M, I would take the Core Duo because it will be ready for the future multi-tread applications. Except if the battery life is a very important thing I would take the Pentium M ( because the Core Duo has 2 cores to feed in electricity.

Collapse -
Core duo or Pentium M concerning Clock speed
by fedrock / April 21, 2006 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: About the fan...

hi all ...
I believe Core Duo is really great and have better performance than the Pentium M. But what if -for example- we are comparing Pentium M 2GHz (around 533 MHz FSB*) and Core Duo 1.8GHz (around 667 MHz FSB) ?
is the Core duo in this case still better?

*FSB: front side bus speed.

yours;
Rimon..

Collapse -
Core Duo is the '' leader ''

Core Duo is the most powerful mobile processor, even if we compare with a Pentium M than has a higher clock speed.

FSB is the speed of the data transfer between the components connected to the motherboard. Faster the FSB is, less time the data will spend to do the task - FSB will be less blocked by data.

Even at 1,66 GHz, the Core duo is still better comparing to a Pentium M Dothan 2 GHz. Why ? Because Intel improved the instruction sets AND the power per watt; the most principal point on a mobile processor. So it takes less power for better performances.

Collapse -
fast.............
by Baroness loraca / April 23, 2006 3:17 PM PDT

Hi excellent info on the fan and the chip, thanks.

Collapse -
some laptops sound like a hairdryer!
by pottok / April 23, 2006 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: quieter compared to?

There may be diffs between models in the US and UK but have used 3 very noisy laptops (fans and keyboard; fan noise being the worst when you type all day) - Dell Inspiron 6000, Acer Aspire and Toshiba Satellite. Mixture of Pentium M and celeron processors. The Dell sounded like a hairdryer all the time; the Toshiba's fans kicked in every minute; the Acer was just a bit noisy too often.
Dell 9400 was very quiet but the monitor was faulty.
All I want is a quiet laptop with good spec, reasonable speed, a good keyboard and the old fashioned non glossy 1280x1024 screen. It seems impossible to find! HP and Acer have some nice looking machines, but I've been told that they are unreliable.

Collapse -
I have an HP
by Baroness loraca / May 8, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

There may be a difference,(I am in US) but I have not ran across one single loud laptop! Certainly not one that sounds like a hairdryer!(I am considering my friends as well) I have an HP Pent4 hyperthread 3.0 and it makes no sound! Reliable? well I have only had it for two years and I can't answer that one.
I also have a Sony Vaio Centrino 2.0 and this is a SILENT laptop. I have had this one for only six months so long term reliabilty ,can't comment. I send them both through there paces but as far as longivity, I am under the impression that Laptops are not suppose to last that long!

Collapse -
About my Inspiron 6400
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 9, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I have an HP

It has a Core Duo mobile processor. The fan has 3 speeds, and beleive me, when the third gueer is working, that make noise !!!!!!! But you know what ? The fan runs only about 10 seconds ! 10 seconds to drop the temperature of about 5-7 degrees ( maybe more ! ) I feel that the laptop is more cool when the fan start ! But most of the time, a minute on the first speed is enough to cool the machine. Very silent laptop, my baby. Of course, if you start playing a game with it, the fan will start more frequently, but stays reasonable.

The processor temperature is always about 25 to 35 degrees, not more ( it has one big air trap on the bootom side and two vents on the left and the rear side ). But I think to this and since 3 hours, the fan didn't start. Temperature is now at 25 for the CPU and 40 for the Hard-Drive. I feel not heat under the case. The Core Duo heats less than the Centrino first-generation of my father's Dell latitude D600 ! It's not a joke ! A Dual-core that heats less than a single core ! After three hours, my friend ( who was working on the latitude ) said me that he cannot support anymore the heat on his laps ! I look at the temperature and it was something like 45 degrees for the processors, clocked at 1,60 GHz ( My Core Duo is 1,66 GHz ).

Collapse -
WOW, that is great info
by Baroness loraca / May 26, 2006 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: About my Inspiron 6400

Ghost, thanks for the great info on the core duo. You would think it would get hotter but it didn't and it shouldn't. Kudos for getting it right,on this processor.

Collapse -
Core Duo does seems slower, am I missing something?
by zingerhill / April 28, 2006 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Core Duo vs Pentium M

I lot of the responses here have been pretty theoretical, about why it should be faster etc. I was looking at the thin and light versions and the testing seemed to indicate only slightly better performance.

I was looking at the IBM x60 ($2000+) and just for kicks compared it to the Dell 710m (around $1,000)

BAPCo MobileMark 2002 performance rating
X60s (core Duo) 230
Vaio s470 (Pentium M) 226
Toshiba Satellite P105-S921 (core Duo) 217
Dell 710 (Pentium M) 211
Avartec (Pentium M) 146

Am I missing something here? Why isn't there a better performance jump? It's fast, but doesn't seem to be fast enough. I am primarily using business applications so 3D performance is not an issue.

At this point I think it may be smarter to buy a Pentium M laptop and a desktop as opposed to an expensive core duo.

Sources:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Inspiron_710m/4505-3121_7-31625261-2.html?tag=subrter to buy a Pentium M laptop and a desktop as opposed to an expensive core duo.

Sources:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Inspiron_710m/4505-3121_7-31625261-2.html?tag=sub

Collapse -
Core Duo aren't expensive ...

Look when the Pentium M Dothan second-generation came out on the market : it was very expensive. The Core Duo is - I think - a little bit less expensive than the Pentium M. Look at Dell. You can buy a very nice computer for a more than resonable price !

Core Duo is faster on every point, even if the application isn't customized for multi-tasking. Even if the Core Duo runs on one core, it is faster than the Pentium M. And the real improvement is when the applications can handle multi-tasking. So the Core Duo take this application on one core ( habitually the second ), but there is always the first core, the first chip, that does nothing ( 0 % activity ). So if you start an heavy applications like Photoshop or whatever like this, this application will starts on the first Core. So the application will start with any lags, at the same speed than the other application started on the second core because the first core isn't working.

And there is more future with a Core Duo. Yonah is pin-to-pin compatible with Merom ( dual-core, 64 bits, new SSE4 instruction sets ) and can handle multi-threaded applications ( the future in summary because now 3/4 is multi-threaded ), thing that the Pentium M isn't able to handle.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.