Laptops forum

General discussion

Core Duo Processor Noise

by zeke51 / May 16, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

I recently bought a CTO HP Pavilion dv1000t with the Intel Core Duo T2400 (1.83GHz) processor. I am experiencing a high pitched buzzing noise coming from rear-left section of the machine. It is definately not the fan or hard drive. Also, the noise volume is affected by the Power Scheme. When set to "Portable/Laptop" the noise is faint yet noticable, but when the "Always On" setting is applied the volume of the noise increases significantly.

Does two cores = twice the noise?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Core Duo Processor Noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Core Duo Processor Noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i dont think so
by koolman51 / May 16, 2006 4:15 PM PDT

i dont think so because my uncle has the same laptop with core duo 1.83 and he hears no noise what so ever.and hes been having it since april i think it was maybe you should send it back to hp and let them figure out the problem.but i have to warn hp customer service is bad i tell you bad!!!

Collapse -
Look back a little
by jelgert / May 16, 2006 7:17 PM PDT
In reply to: i dont think so

I believe there is a guy that had this exact problem with his hp should be under the heading like beware of hp or something like that. If you can make them replace the laptop as some of them seem to come as duds but like koolman said get on the phone with customer service and get them to take care of it.

Collapse -
HP Customer Service
by zeke51 / May 17, 2006 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: i dont think so

I called to exchange the notebook and had no problems what-so-ever. HP will have FedEx come pick up the defective notebook. My only issue is it takes a week for another CTO notebook to be built.

I don't want to make HP Customer Service seem like angles.I was within the 21 days from shipping limit that HP imposes on returns and exhanges. If the 21 days had expired, things would have probably been very different.

Collapse -
Customer Care
by crash900s / May 25, 2006 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: HP Customer Service

I was not so lucky. When my computer started exibiting problems it was after the 30 day return peroid. They gave me quite a hard time but, thankfully a very nice customer service lady totally got me and helped me get my problem fixed. Hp service was pretty good but people please read the fine print they are unforgiving about those warranty technicalities. And I'm not joking get the extended warranty on your PC. Hp sells them at reasonable rates.

Collapse -
HP Customer Support
by ddjdm / May 26, 2006 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Customer Service

To add to your comments, even I have had really good customer support from HP.
We are a call center company providing inbound call support, liv chat services, live phone order taking and back-office operations. For that we had bought a HP Laserjet printer. the printer's cartridge was exhausted and I has to call their toll free numebr to get it replaced. I must tell you tell phone support was one that I learnt from since we are also into phone support.
Call Center Services
US Toll Free: 1-877-286-3682

Collapse -
by chadwn / May 16, 2006 10:44 PM PDT

wat about the batt time usage for the 1.8 Core Duo, pls?

Collapse -
Other than Noise Core Duo is Great
by zeke51 / May 17, 2006 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: batt

Other than the noise I am experiencing, the Core Duo is a great processor. It has greatly improved battery life, probably close to the 50% that has been reported. Also, the processor runs multiple applications without even a hick-up. In my opinion, the dv1000t is one of the most stylish thin-and-light notebooks on the market.

Collapse -
Extremly Agree
by chadwn / May 18, 2006 2:55 PM PDT

I totally agree with you, therefore i bought a dv1616tn yesterday! Cheers!

Collapse -
Noise ?????????

What noise ?

My baby ( Dell Inspiron 6400 ) with the T2300 make absolutely no noise, except when the fan works on the third speed ( really rare ! ).

The Core Duo is a really good processor. Performances are very very good.

Collapse -
The Fix
by zeke51 / May 19, 2006 4:30 PM PDT

After considerable research and the help of the almighty Google, I found the fix to the problem. After some experimenting I noticed that when my USB mouse was unplugged, the buzzing would almost go completely away. This lead me to believe that the buzzing has something to do with devices that use USB power.

It was then, when I was broken and almost ready to buy a Mac (well not quite), that I stumbled accross a website: which discribes the buzzing laptop fix. All you have to do is disable the Power Management (Windows XP USB device shut down) of the USB hubs in the Device Manager. This completely eliminated the buzzing.

Core Duo is great processor, and the HP Pavilion dv1000t is a sexy notebook.

Collapse -
I found the fix on the Microsoft Support Website
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 19, 2006 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: The Fix
Collapse -
Did Not Fix Buzzing
by zeke51 / May 20, 2006 2:15 PM PDT

Thank you for your post Ghost26. I re-enabled the USB Root Hub Power Management, confirmed the buzzing noise, then downloaded, installed, and rebooted to again observe the dreaded and everpresent buzzing.

I am not exactly sure what turning off the USB Root Hub Power Management does, but even if it causes minor problems (which I have not experience yet), anything is better than this %$#@ buzzing.

Collapse -
does it sound like
by Qosmio / May 21, 2006 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Did Not Fix Buzzing
Collapse -
Yes, Very Similar
by zeke51 / May 21, 2006 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: does it sound like

It electronic buzzing sounds very similar to that.

Collapse -
send it back
by Qosmio / May 21, 2006 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, Very Similar

send it back to HP.Logic board replacement or fix

Collapse -
Widespread Buzzing
by zeke51 / May 25, 2006 11:13 AM PDT

Just recieved my third dv1000t, and it buzzes just like the last two. I think that this is a widespread issue. From the research I have done, the noise seems to affect many manufactures and even the new Macs with the Core Duo processor. It may be that some people don't pay attention to the sound or even think it is normal. It seems the problem is an engineering problem (software/hardware related), regardless, this is a big problem.

Collapse -
HP customer Service
by jencruz8787 / June 15, 2010 7:27 AM PDT

some of my friends encountered this type of problems. Mostly on HP laptops. They got checked on HP shops, or even they got a call from its tech supports on call centers like . It ended out well, they where able to make some great customer support though.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?