HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Cord to connect Laptop to tv

by fordo123 / February 16, 2008 4:46 AM PST

I need to get a cord to connect my Windows laptop to my HDTV so a bunch of friends and I can watch a tv show together (that is broadcast on hulu). What kind of cord do I need to buy to do this?

Thanks,
Fordo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cord to connect Laptop to tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cord to connect Laptop to tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
D-sub
by dinox64 / February 16, 2008 5:09 AM PST

15 pin? I think it depends on the output of your video card. Mine has s-cable output on my desk top and HDMI on my lap top.

Collapse -
depends what video outputs/inputs you have...
by shawnlin / February 16, 2008 7:20 AM PST

Sometimes you may have to mix/match outputs from the PC to the TV. Macs seems to have DVI.

Here's the way I'd approach the cable selection:
1) Figure out what the highest quality HD connection on the TV is (probably HDMI, but maybe DVI)
2) Do #1 for your computer (probably DVI or HDMI)
3) get a cable that has the correct connection to your laptop on one end and your HDTV on the other. Be aware - keep in mind the male/female selection of cables; if you need DVI, make sure you are getting the right type of DVI connector 'cause I think there's a few different types.

buy online (good quality and prices):
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
http://www.monoprice.com/ (good customer support for questions)

If you're still confused, just post what you got to work with here and we can point you in the right direction. Also consider posting in the home theater forum:
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-7596_102-0.html?forumID=60&tag=forum.fd

I strongly recommend not buying overpriced "Monster" brand cables.

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
Thx Shalin!
by fordo123 / February 17, 2008 1:38 AM PST

AWESOME info. Really appreciate it.

Collapse -
sure thing :) also...
by shawnlin / February 17, 2008 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Thx Shalin!

be aware that some connectors don't easily convert via a cable. You may have to get a small "middle man" box to convert the feed from one type of connection to another and capture video and audio.
So, in case you're not able to find the cable you're looking for, that may be why. It's not an impossible thing to overcome, it just might take a little more than just a cable.

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
MBP to SONY HDTV.
by JoshTaylor2 / February 17, 2008 10:11 PM PST
In reply to: sure thing :) also...

My macbook pro has dvi out. I bought a cable dvi to component, trying to maximize the likelyhood that it would work (I thought HDMI would possibly break the signal). But my mac couldn't recognize the TV.
So, I bought a dvi-hdmi cable. Worked perfectly, and both cables shipped from amazon were less than 20 dollars.

Now I surf on 55" of hd goodness! Happy

Collapse -
HDMI
by destinybsr / February 9, 2011 9:05 AM PST

How do I know if my laptop supports HDMI or DVI?

Collapse -
Either
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI

Either plug in some HDMI or DVI cable or check the specs on the laptop.

I can't check specs when I can't find them in the discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't forget sound
by ibcrandy-2120454356981420 / February 18, 2008 8:52 AM PST

Some cables include sound (such as HDMI) and some don't, so don't be like me and have a VGA cable going to your TV and the sound coming from your crappy laptop speakers. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) good point! I totally blanked on that...
by shawnlin / February 18, 2008 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: Don't forget sound
Collapse -
Sound does not work with HDMI cable
by mighttyjoe / August 6, 2009 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't forget sound

I connected my laptop to my HDTV with a HDMI cable. However, I did not get any sound from the TV. I thought HDMI cables carry both video and sound signals. Do I need to do sound setting for my laptop at all which I could not figure out yet? My laptop is a brand new HP 2009 model. I tried hooking up sound from the headphone jack from the laptop to the sound input from the TV but so far it's not working.
Please help, anyone????

Collapse -
Try this...
by Slikkster / August 7, 2009 2:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
One more note...
by Slikkster / August 7, 2009 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this...

The extra cable you've hooked up (between the headphone jack and the TV) is not necessary. Remove it. HDMI only.

Collapse -
Works like a charm
by mighttyjoe / August 7, 2009 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this...

Thank you for the tip. I followed the link and adjusted the sound setting from my laptop to HDMI for sound. It works very well now, getting hooked on instant-watching netflix movies on my big screen TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.