Computer Help forum

General discussion

Copying pictures to disk

by mtnslope2 / February 25, 2011 8:47 AM PST

I have been copying my picture files to disks for several years, but I don't know how to just copy the ones not already on disks. I have Windows Vista and can't find a place to enter a start date or something like that. I like to put the most recent ones on disk every six months or so. They of course are in several different files. Thanks so much for any help. I feel kind of stupid asking this, but I really do need the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copying pictures to disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copying pictures to disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is "always" difficult.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 9:16 PM PST

It is not a stupid question at all, and is often a very real problem. What you are trying to sort out are the well known, "duplicate files" problem.

There is no easy answer to this. You may want to read a new and ongoing discussion about it raised in Lee Koo's newsletter here; How can I get rid of all my duplicate files in multiple hard drives?.

It may not be exactly the same as your problem, but something there may help.

Specifically though, if you use Explorer in Vista, (eg My Computer, My Documents, etc), you can choose what columns to display in the right hand pane of Vista, as in the example here;
http://img35.imageshack.us/f/explorero.jpg/

That right hand pane shows date, but within the folder itself you can choose whether to display "Created date" or "Modified date", and so on for each of the files.

The problem is that this doesn't really help you find and decide whether two files are identical. There's only one sure way, to look through each and every photo file, and keep the ones you want and delete those you do not.

Sorry, but I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: copying to disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 11:31 PM PST

I think it's only an issue if you've so much picures that they don't all fit on a DVD. With a picture being 1 to 2 MB and a DVD 4.7 GB (if single layer, more if double layer and much more if blue ray) that's some 3000-4000 pics on a DVD. If you've got less than 4.7 GB, just copy all each time.

If more there are several options. I'll give your 5:
1. Find a backup or burn program that lets you select files from folders by date
2. Find a backup or burn program that lets you select new or changed files from a folder via the archive bit
3. Use xcopy (from command mode) to copy the changed or new files to a temporary folder and backup that (that's the /a switch in xcopy).
4. Set the folder options to show the creation or modification date in detail mode (see post by Mark), sort on that and copy the new or changed files to a temporary folder yourself
5. Don't burn to disk, but to an external hard disk using a backup program like Syncback or Synctoy that compares source and destination itself.

Remember, however, that only having one backup is not secure enough. So you'll need to use your primary backup to the hard disk of another PC or webbased storage to be really safe. But, of course, that's the same thing as when you backup to CD or DVD. Having a picture on only one disk is not enough to feel safe. They can become unreadable much too easy.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?