Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Copying old super 8mm movies to a Dvd on an Imac ??

by jimdent / February 27, 2005 10:39 AM PST

Ok guys and gals, I can use your help on this one. How can I get my old super 8 movies from 35 - 40 years ago transferred to a DVD on my Imac G5 ??? If it can be done, what do I need to purchase to get the job done?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copying old super 8mm movies to a Dvd on an Imac ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copying old super 8mm movies to a Dvd on an Imac ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
8mm to DVD
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 10:12 PM PST

First you need an 8mm projector and a digital video camera. Digital is not essential but it will cut out the conversion of Analog to Digital step.
Next you need some form of kit that enables the video camera to record the picture being shown by the projector. There are kits available for this. Basically it is a square tunnel that bends at right angles about halfway along. At the bend there is a mirror which turns the picture around the corner and reverses the image. At the other end of the tunnel, there is a translucent screen on the rear of which, the picture is projected. Viewed from the other side, the picture is correctly orientated. That's the simple explanation, there are some very sophisticated devices out there.
Set the camera to focus on the screen and begin recording. If you did get the digital camera, and it has a Firewire connection, connect it to the firewire port on the G5. Fire up iMovie and suck down the movie in real time. Video takes a HUGE amount of HD space.
If you did not get a digital camera, you will need to convert the analog video into digital. There are a number of devices that will do that. I have had success with a product by Dazzle that takes Analog video in, via RCA cables, and puts out Digital via a firewire cable. iMovie recognises the device as a Digital Camera.
Once the Video is inside the G5, manipulate it with iMovie until you are satisfied with it. Fire up iDVD and bring the iMovie into iDVD. Create your DVD in iDVD and, when you are happy with the result, burn it to DVD from iDVD.
Done.
It actually takes longer than that Happy

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Thank you mrmacfixit
by jimdent / February 28, 2005 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: 8mm to DVD

Thank you very much for the information. You've been a big help and I really do appreciate it. This Imac is my first mac ever and I just couldn't get my answer anywhere, until you came along Happy Thanks again and maybe someday I'll also be able to answer a question concerning macs. Happy

Collapse -
8mm to DVD
by notecard / February 28, 2005 4:45 PM PST

mrmacfixit,

Thank you for your 8mm posting !! It is a family project that I was wanting to do. But did not now how. Thanks.

I saw your post in the web design forum. We have a website that has pages that are 2 + 3 years old. In trying to learn DW MX 2004, The " Browser Checker Alert " shows
many similar errors ... ( The height attribute of the TABLE tag is not supported, Value '1' is not supported for CSS property, Unsupported value for the valign attribute of the td tag. )
To correct this errors does DW MX 2004 have the ability to correct them ...automatically ? If not, do you have recommendations of how to correct many many pages. To help you here is our site: http://www.studiodaedre.com/smallcards.asp

Thank You once again for your incredible knowledge !!

Collapse -
Web Design
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 28, 2005 9:59 PM PST

I don't believe that DreamWeaver will automatically correct any errors on your web site.
I am by no means an expert on this topic, there are many of them on the Design Forum, but the posts to which you are referring were to do with building a website with a Non-Compliant Tool (DW) and testing with a Non-Compliant browser (IE).
Your best source of information on this topic would be back in the Design Forum.

Thanks for the kind words.

P

Collapse -
Something you might try
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 28, 2005 10:16 PM PST

I am running FireFox on a PC at work and I have installed the HTML checker in it.

It will look at the page of the website that you are on an analyze the code. It looks for compliance with the W3C standard, NOT the Non-Compliant M$ Code. It shows errors and warnings and also gives you the opportunity to "Clean" the code. Both the Clean Code and the Original code is viewable in the HTML Checker window.
Using Firefox, your site does not look too bad. HTML Checker does offer suggestions though.
You might want to download FireFox, free, install the HTML checker, Free, and see what happens. Firefox is a compliant browser.

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
HTML checker
by notecard / March 1, 2005 9:22 AM PST

P.

I'll try to find FireFox for OS10.3. I will give it a try. I was not looking forward to rebuilding each page. I would think that the errors are pretty repetitive throughout the website.
Thank you once again.

Collapse -
Mozilla Firefox for Mac OS10.3
by notecard / March 1, 2005 11:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Checky 2.5
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2005 11:52 AM PST

That's the one. It is only available for Windows and when installed it appears in the bottom right hand corner of the FireFox window.
Go to the website you want to check and click on the icon in RH corner. It should give you options on what to check and how.
That's about all I know about that.

P

Collapse -
Transferring
by taboma. / March 1, 2005 2:15 PM PST
In reply to: Checky 2.5

P,
CNET, Lee Koos also had some interesting posts on how to transfer Vinyl records and VHS tapes to a Mac. Cannot remember the exact dates that they were posted. Copied one of them for vinyl records. Since the original post was transferring film to a Mac I thought that article would benefit him also.
This came from CNET:

I have a collection of hard-to-find vinyl records, and I'd like to create an archive of songs on CD-ROM. Is this possible using my PC?

--Submitted by Marilyn D. of Maplewood, MN

Here are basic guidelines:
1) Connect a turntable to your home stereo or a standalone preamplifier (available at RadioShack).

2) Get an audio cable (also available at RadioShack) that goes from two RCA male jacks to a 1/8-inchstereo jack. Plug the RCA jacks into the line-out or tape-out jacks in the back of the amplifier (or preamplifier), then plug the 1/8-inch stereo jack into the line-in jack in the back of the computer.

3) Open your Windows volume control panel. To do this, click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds And Audio Devices. On the Volume tab, click the Advanced button. On the volume controls, click Options > Properties. In the box that pops up, click Recording. Make sure that Line-in is one of the boxes you have checked, then click OK.

4) Put a record on the turntable and start playing it. Adjust the volume using the Recording Controls (if there is no sound, double-check your connections).

5) Now you can record. Several programs out there will let you record music from an external source. (I recommend a good freeware program called Audacity or what I use personally, SoundForge 6.0, but it will cost you.)

6) Once you have the WAV or MP3 files on the hard drive, you're ready to burn them to CD-ROMs.

P, they may also have the discussion of film to a PC on Lee Koos pages. Just a thought. Neat Stuff to know

Kevin

Collapse -
???
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2005 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: Transferring

This has nothing to do with what the poster wants to do.
He is transferring 8mm movies to his mac, not vinyl.
I, and the poster, thought this was an answered post

P

Collapse -
In reply to: ???

Just a thought to receive other answers from Lee Koos PC Group. Mac is not alone on this issue

Collapse -
???!
by taboma. / March 14, 2005 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: ???

P, This is an answered post. You never know where the post is leading to, and we just had a great post for another subject for vinyl records from Captnkid. The only reason I posted my original post in the first place, is since he wants to restore Super 8mm film, he may also want to restore vinyl records. Same era. Same thought of how to restore that time-frame.
My Aunt has old Jass records from the 40s & 50s on 78rpm.
How does one record from 78rpm to a Mac? I suppose one would have to have and old turntable?

Lee Koos had the solution on an original newsletter. Did the poster ever get back to Lee or ever find out how to do it?

Kevin

Collapse -
Old Vynil Records
by CaptnKidd / March 11, 2005 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: Transferring

I just came across a $39.00 device that interfaces your stereo to your mac, and allows you to convert to MP3's. did not buy it yet but plan to as soon as I get back to my old truntable and records.

Collapse -
Checky for Mac - It's in the tools
by notecard / March 11, 2005 11:08 AM PST

P.
I was playing w/ Firefox on OS10.3.8
The Checky for Mac fetures are available in the top menu under tools.
I can see how the features offered could be very useful.

Being a Mac person I have not paid any mind
to the FireFox movement. Now seeing all the exension, etc avail.
for the browser, I understand why M$ feels a little heat. IT IS ABOUT TIME.
Thanks for the tip.

Collapse -
Converting home movies to VHS
by John Robie / March 18, 2005 4:29 PM PST

Hi,

I have found those kit boxes to project the movie images for the camcorder to not be as effective as a home made system. I made several posts concerning the conversion of many dozens of hours of 8mm, super 8mm, and 16mm home movies to VHS in another forum that may be of interest:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=62465&messageID=995484

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=62465&messageID=1037894

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=62465&messageID=1053315

Collapse -
Copying
by taboma. / March 3, 2005 1:43 PM PST

jimdent,
Try to go to the ECTRONICS FORUM/Camcorders.
They seem to have the same issues.
Here is a post copied that you may find helpful.
Super 8 to video:

?I just sent four Super 8 50' rolls to
http://www.homemoviedepot.com/
but can't comment on the quality as they have not come back yet. This company (for a fee) will let you add limited info like titles, music, etc. to your movies (on line) before they burn them to a DVD. They also will output your movie to a Mini DV or Digital 8 tape that you can load into your own computer then edit. It is my understanding pulling the files directly off the DVD may be a problem but my son "the hacker" says, "No problem" so we will see...
I was also told if the movies are really old they may have shrunk so DON'T play them on your projector as the sprocket holes may rip out. I was going to use my variable speed projector to copy them myself but, 1. it was dirty and I could not get it clean without taking it all apart; 2. the films would not stop "jittering" maybe due to shrinkage; and 3. the bulb burned out after 15 minutes. So I decided to let someone else do it. Send me an email in a week or so and I'll let you know how they came out with Home Movie Depot.?

Posted by: BobMaine Posted on: 02/24/2005 6:13 AM Camcorders

This issue has also been on Lee Koo's Posts and there are many posts on the PC side on how to copy 8mm to digital. Tried to find it, but couldn't. I have read the solution before, and there were a number of posts that helped. Some are to project the image to a screen while you record the image onto video and than transfer the video to a CD somehow.
As I recall in the discussion, the easiest was to go to a service bureau of some sorts. Check out the Electronics and get the answers first-hand!

Your original post is to the Hardware Forum.
Go to the Camcorders to see if this Forum helps and post you question again. I think that you would be better off in that forum v/s Hardware.
Hopes this helps. You may also want to ask the Moderator, Robert P.

Trying to help you out?
Kevin

Collapse -
35 mm slides
by malcolm72 / March 17, 2005 9:36 PM PST

I am looking for the best way to copy 35 mm slides into my computer so I can make DVDs. Any suggestions?

Mac

Collapse -
Slides
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: 35 mm slides

Use a scanner with a Slide/Negative attachment.
Scan them in, store them in iPhoto, create the DVD in iDVD and off you go.
A lot of scanners come with this attachment as standard

P

Collapse -
I had 16mm film transferred to DVD a few years ago
by Digital_Guy / April 11, 2005 2:29 PM PDT

I had this done a few years ago. I had 16mm film from the 1940s and 1950s transferred and put onto DVD. I found a group in Pennsylvania that did the work for me ... you can see more about them at: http://www.newmediainc.com or http://www.dvdpa.com

I remember that they first had to transfer the film's content to a stable media. The film was first transferred to MiniDV. They gave me a VHS copy to preview, and then later transferred the video from MiniDV to DVD. This group is professional. There may be other ways to do it, but I found this to be the easiest. They knew exactly what to do.

I am not advertising, I do not work for them, I have no affiliation with them. I am trying to point in a direction that I hope will be of some help. I would be interested in knowing if you ever are able to transfer the 8mm film. Please let me know ... you can reach me at: Digital_Guy@Hotmail.com

Collapse -
Transferred to CD
by taboma. / April 12, 2005 2:20 PM PDT

Digital_Guy, What about VHS to CD?
Lee Koos has a discussion currently on that subject that has been discussed before.
Post to that discussion also. Let them know about your sources:http://www.newmediainc.com or http://www.dvdpa.com
Seems what goes around?comes around again. Cannot find the original post that was discussed before and the solutions. There were also several posts for copying vinyl records, 8MM and slides to CD also.

Kevin

Collapse -
Transferr
by taboma. / April 15, 2005 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Transferred to CD

Just received the message from Lee Koos at CNET today.
Archieving on CNET. Who knew?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?