Computer Help forum

General discussion

Copying Hard Drive(s) To New Computer

by scottrhude / June 23, 2009 2:20 AM PDT

Hi There...planning on buying a new laptop soon (most likely running Windows Vista) and selling my old one (running Windows XP, SP 3) to a friend. Problem is, I'd like to know how to copy my entire computer (files, programs, etc.) to an external hard drive so I can put it all on my new one when I get it. Ideally, I'd like to leave my old one with no trace of my owning it and have my new one with all the files, programs, etc. from my old one on it. Can anyone tell me how this is done? Much appreciated if so...thanks.

Scott...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copying Hard Drive(s) To New Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copying Hard Drive(s) To New Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check into....
by Willy / June 23, 2009 3:33 AM PDT

Provided your old system is up and running, get that ext. HD. If any s/w comes with the new ext. HD, use the cloning or mirror image pgm. if none provided check the support website and get it, it must be the same brand as the HD support. So if Seagate, then Seagate support website and get that s/w. Clone or mirror image and store it away. Now when new system arrives, copy or swap data to new system. You really don't want to re-mirror or clone to the new system HD, as that can't be done correctly since it will be Vista and even then different systems entirely.

Once all the above is done and data is correct and safe. You can use HD eraser pgm. like Killdisk or DBAN to totally wipeout the HD. Google for author sources, very good pgms.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Another possibility
by Overington / June 23, 2009 4:06 AM PDT

Scott,

That's a good suggestion, but to keep it "cheap" and not get extra hardware or software, just make a temporary network between the two machines and copy any data you've created between them. As for the OS, you're going from XP to VISTA. I don't know what programs you are using that would be compatable with both XP and VISTA. Even if you were copying the XP OS to the new machine, I doubt if the motherboard, video card, etc. are the same. You're going to have different drivers for each component most likely. I would suggest installing what programs you have that are compatable with VISTA and when you have it set up the way you want it then wipe the old machine.

Collapse -
Pick one
by Jimmy Greystone / June 23, 2009 4:17 AM PDT

You get to pick one or the other, because you can either:

A) Back up the entire drive, programs, files, etc as a single image that will then not be usable on any other system

or

B) Give up on backing up programs and just focus on the data

It's unfortunately an either/or scenario you're faced with. You can't have both, so take however long you need to come to grips with this fact, and then decide which you'd rather have.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?