Computer Help forum

General discussion

Copying a Recovery Partition from a bad HDD to a new one

by libelula / February 6, 2010 5:42 AM PST

Hi there,
I have an HP laptop with a bad HDD. I have a Recovery Partition on the old HDD, but I did not make recovery disks to use on a new HDD (I know, that was stupid). At least I backed up my files.
I would like to copy the files from the old HDD to a new HDD so that I can recover the original Vista OS and apps that came preinstalled. I have a desktop that I can use, a Blacx dock, and a new SATA HDD.
Do I need to clone the old HDD using an Acronis program or something?
Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copying a Recovery Partition from a bad HDD to a new one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copying a Recovery Partition from a bad HDD to a new one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm confused . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 6, 2010 9:06 AM PST

If the old hard drive failed/is bad, can you access it? If not, we're done. If yes, you cannot clone a slave/USB (in an external case) drive. Usually. Tell us the status of the failed drive.

If the drive is accessible, I have used this to unhide a drive.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Then burned a copy of the hidden restoral partition.

Collapse -
Can access through docking station
by libelula / February 7, 2010 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: I'm confused . . .

Hi,
My laptop booted up to a black screen with a pointer. I tried booting into Safe Mode with no luck. I tried System Restore with no luck, then I went into the BIOS and ran a check on the HDD and it said that it was faulty.
I took out the drive and I can access the contents of the drive through a docking station that I connected with a USB to my desktop. I cannot figure out where the Recovery data is, though. I did try to use Tue Image to backup the drive onto my desktop, and it said that "Operation has completed with errors". I looked up the error code and it says, "Make sure the archive is not open, mounted or used by a different process. Reattempt the operation". I did not have any of the files from the drive open.
Thoughts?

Collapse -
I'll Recommend Contacting HP For the Recovery Discs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 3:01 AM PST

The cost will be minimal and the Recovery discs should install the operating system, all programs and drivers per the original factory state.. It also should install the recovery partition on the new hard drive.

Unfortunately, copying the recovery partition files from the old drive may not get the job done. First, you'll need to partition the new drive so the drive has the same drive letters for both the C: drive and the recovery partition. Both must have the same drive letters as the original drive had. And even if done correctly, the recovery setup key may not function as designed if there's anything slightly wrong..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Disks are ordered
by libelula / February 8, 2010 6:55 AM PST

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the disks and also have a new and improved HDD to use. I've never replaced a HDD and had to format, partition it, and all that good stuff. Are there any links/walk-throughs that you can recommend for doing so? Then, is there anything special I need to do to install the OS from the replacement disk?
Thanks!

Collapse -
You Don't Mention The Specific Version Of Vista..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Disks are ordered

..but the install from Recovery Discs should be fairly straight forward. Place the first recovery disc in the DVD drive, then restart the computer and it should walk you through the options to format the drive and install everything back to it's factory state.

In fact, if you search the HP site for your model number and recovery options for your version of Vista, it should give you the specific instructions for using the recovery discs.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?