Question

COPY > SEARCH > COPY > PASTE MACRO?

I am trying to better manage sources (200 endnotes!) in long research papers. I keep a source document where I first paste the formal citation (exactly what appears in the endnote) followed by the complete text from that source, for each source I use in my research. After the paper is finished, (after editing and rearranging) the source document is no longer in the same order as the endnotes, and for my purposes, unfortunately, I need the order of the source document to match the final order of the endnotes.

So...I am looking for a macro that will allow me to copy and paste the list of endnotes into the top of the source document, then when I run the macro, search for each citation, copy the text below that citation and then paste it into a new document, and do this in order, for each endnote. I understand I will likely have to paste a string of characters at the end of each source in the source document which is not a problem. (Maybe something easy based on keyboard layout that would never appear in the source text, so maybe: /*-/*-/*- )

I also tried solving my problem with bookmarks, my bookmarking each source's citation in the hopes of generating an index of all the bookmarks, thinking I could somehow rearrange them according to the final endnote order. While the bookmarks allow me to find each source much faster (when the source document is 300 pages, this is an improvement) but I still cannot easily rearrange the source document without cutting and pasting every single source.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: COPY > SEARCH > COPY > PASTE MACRO?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: COPY > SEARCH > COPY > PASTE MACRO?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums