HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Copy-paste problems

by Jericho_D / November 27, 2009 9:42 PM PST

Currently using MS-Office Pro on my XP -02 homeEdition.
I have a thing for going through my computer, erasing old files and programs and last week I discovred that I could?nt paste using the "[ctrl]+[V]" method. The "rightclick+Paste" option still works but takes too long (im on a laptop).

Anyone got a clue how to solve it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy-paste problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy-paste problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usuals I run into.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Copy-paste problems

Google bar, Norton, and other "security" software and their settings.

Collapse -
I dont use any of those
by Jericho_D / November 29, 2009 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: The usuals I run into.

I don?t use either google-bar or Norton software.. but i do use google chrome, do you think that could do it?

Collapse -
You could test that theory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 4:30 AM PST

Copy paste can be blocked with too many products and settings. You would have to give a rundown of what is installed for others to comment on. You could think back to when it worked.
Bob

Collapse -
okaj
by Jericho_D / November 29, 2009 5:07 PM PST

I looked through the programs list and I dont recall installing any programs at the time, yesterday I tried to repair AND reinstall the whole program (Win word MS office pro) but it didnt do anything.

Those settings you mentioned, are you talking about general computersettings or settings for specific programs?

Collapse -
Does it work ...
by Kees Bakker / November 29, 2009 5:23 PM PST
In reply to: okaj

if you boot in Safe Mode? Then one of the processes run in Normal mode blocks it, it seems.

And does ctrl-V work in other programs than Word? Say, Notepad or Wordpad.

Kees

Collapse -
Nope... =(
by Jericho_D / December 4, 2009 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: Does it work ...

I tried but no change..

Collapse -
Reinstall keyboard driver
by Dango517 / December 4, 2009 4:00 PM PST
In reply to: Copy-paste problems

Driver can be corrupted, so ..............

See device manager> to keyboard> right click choose properties> to driver tab click update driver. first search on line for driver. It should install automatically.

or

See device manager> to keyboard> right click to properties> to driver tab> click update driver> search this computer> search from list> careful here only choose the highlighted drive. Choose no other> click next> let it run.

Check for an update for the keyboard in Windows updates, it might take a day or two for it to arrive.

If you bought this keyboard load the disc that came with it into the DVD/CD drive. This will reinstall a fresh copy of the driver.

Are you having other problems with this PC? What problems?

Collapse -
My computer is on strike....
by Jericho_D / December 4, 2009 11:18 PM PST

I?m on a laptop as i said, and i cant find any new driver?s to it. And it?s ONLY in word, i can copy-paste without any problems in my browser, notepad and wordpad but still reinstalling word or even installing another verision of word did not work...

Maby if i can find another keyboard and control if it works on that one? But I still don?t think its a hardware malfunction or even hardware drivers problems... the problem only effects word!

Collapse -
Re: copy/paste
by Kees Bakker / December 4, 2009 11:29 PM PST

- So paste with ctrl-V doesn't work in Word. Is that dependent on the source (say Word or Notepad) or does it work NEVER?
- The alternative keyboard shortcut is shift-insert. Does that work?
- Can you assign the paste operation to a macro and that macro to a suitable key combination?

Kees

Collapse -
It worked!!
by Jericho_D / December 6, 2009 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: copy/paste

Thanks mate, it worked!

First off I tried to use the alternative paste function ([shift]+[Ins]) and it worked and then i made a maro for paste using the old buttons and it worked out perfectly!

Problem solved, thank you so much!

Collapse -
perhaps a better solution
by Dango517 / December 6, 2009 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: It worked!!
http://www.openoffice.org/

source openOffice:

It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software

In time Wordt will bite you in the butt again, you'll see. Happy
Collapse -
If it's only in Word then you are right
by Dango517 / December 5, 2009 3:28 PM PST

Word sucks, crapware as they call it. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.