HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

copy OS to second HDD

by hancycle / November 26, 2009 8:09 PM PST

I have an older slow WD 40G PATA HDD and getting a new WD 80G SATA HDD.

I like to copy the existing HDD to the new one and keep the old drive with the OS as a stand-by using dual boot.

How do I goabout this.

I have WD Data Lifeguard and think it has the capability to move the OS to a new drive, but I am not sure if it lets me copy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: copy OS to second HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: copy OS to second HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open to debate or from results
by Willy / November 26, 2009 8:41 PM PST
In reply to: copy OS to second HDD

Provided you can attach the SATA to your system, try using the DataGuard WD s/w they provide and make the "image" full copy back-up from old to new. However being what I believe is an old system, the SATA side may not be capable unless its fully OS loaded. As the DataGuard s/w in non OS required, though WD has different versions of this s/w. You can get the latest WD release and see if it works better or use your current copy. Basically, you have readiness issues not necessary the back-up as that can be done, but the h/w has to be ready to use the WD s/w under its requirements.

As for dual boot, that again is part of the OS and bios status. You don't need the bios to accept dual boot, but again you may. The OS itself can accept dual boot mode if the OSes differ, they can't be the same actual OS version or install. Under the bios, you need to enter that every time in order to direct boot mode. While some bios provide different boot modes(devices) they can lack that mode from multiple HDs, so be aware.

All these issues arise and you lack details in your post, so no clear answer. No one can answer properly w/o full details.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
trying to fill in the blanks
by hancycle / November 26, 2009 11:49 PM PST

OS is win 2K Pro SP4
MB is Asus P4S800D-X supporting SATA and BIOS supporting dual boot.

My goal is to have a OS with all programs installed on a "stand-by" drive which I can use to replace the "working" installation on the other drive when it gets slow from clutter or corrupted, like a fresh install without the need for re-installing all programs.

I am pretty sure that I will be able to get there from what you say.

Collapse -
I did this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: copy OS to second HDD

But the move from IDE to SATA has POT HOLES galore. While I did use CLONZILLA (words in all capital letters can be a clue you can google what these are) to clone the drive the biggest pot hole was the machine and bios settings.

After the clone I had to dive into the machine to change the boot drive from IDE to SATA as well as emulate IDE on the SATA in the BIOS.

THERE ARE NO STANDARDS HERE so I'm left to state what I did.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.