Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Copy of Win 7 (ONLY)

by greenlot / July 8, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

HI all,
I will buy a Toshiba (laptop) Satellite L 645-1018x and comes with the OS pre-install, so no diskette.
Would it be possible to make a copy of (ONLY)Win7 home premium operating system to a DVD or Flash Disk?
I know I can make a recovery disk, but what about if the all OS has to be re-installed. Can it be done by using the recovery disk only?
Thanks for your answers.
G/L

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy of Win 7 (ONLY)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy of Win 7 (ONLY)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends
by Jimmy Greystone / July 8, 2010 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Copy of Win 7 (ONLY)

It depends on the vendor. Most stick you with recovery discs that are full of useless garbage. I know Dell actually gives you a near unmodified Windows DVD. The only thing they really change, is to add a small program that detects a Dell BIOS and then activates Windows if found. I don't know if Toshiba is the same or not, but probably the best way to find out is to call them up.

Collapse -
Copy of Win 7 (ONLY)
by greenlot / July 8, 2010 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: It depends

Thanks Jimmy,
I will phone them. Do you think it would be possible to copy the ISO File or this file it?s only available with the original diskette or if I download Win 7 Home Premium from Microsoft Store ??
Better b4 when the diskette was available.
Thanks
G/L

Collapse -
You'll only get
by Jimmy Greystone / July 8, 2010 11:13 PM PDT

You'll only get an ISO image if you have a downloaded version. And it doesn't do you a lot of good until you use it to burn a copy of the install DVD.

And even back in the day, Microsoft had a habit of using uncommon 2.8MB floppies to try and discourage people from making copies. Not to mention the huge mortality rate of floppy disk media.

Collapse -
Copy of Win 7 (ONLY)
by greenlot / July 9, 2010 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: You'll only get

Jimmy thanks all clear.

To burn a copy of the install DVD it wouldn't be a problem if i had a ISO.........

One more question if you don?t mind: Like I said after getting the new laptop I will not have a OS diskette, what about if, hope will never happen, I have to change the HD after a crash how would I be able to install the OS since I haven?t got a diskette? Do I have to buy a new OS again?

Thanks once again
G/L

Collapse -
Can't answer specific to Toshiba
by lacsr / July 9, 2010 10:35 PM PDT

But most manufacturers will have the user make Recovery DVD's that will restore the computer to "like from the factory" just in case the HD is bad or replaced.

Collapse -
Copy of Win 7 (ONLY)
by greenlot / July 10, 2010 12:19 PM PDT

Thank you all very much, i will contact Toshiba and find out.

Regards

G/L

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.