General discussion

copy CD's

I am very new to all this so please bare with me.. I want to copy some photo's from my Kodak software program.
I know where on there it says to copy to cd, but my question is, when I want to copy photo's or music to a CD and I know that it is only going to take up a very small amount on the cd. Can I put that same cd in and copy more information on there without over writing what is on there? I quess, How do I keep adding to a cd?
Sorry this is not sounding very clear. Thank for any help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: copy CD's
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: copy CD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I understand completely. . .
- Collapse -
You can with Roxio EZ CD Creator

When you are creating the CD, select don't finalize the session. That will allow you to add additional data at another time.

- Collapse -
Same here

I agree with other posters. You need to be sure *NOT* to finalize a session. If so done, finalzing, you seal the CD from accepting new data. It's treated just like a big floppy, if want to think of it that way. Until, you're sure what you're doing use CD-RW cds for now that way you can at least recover the CD from being wasted. I use HP's Verita's s/w which is very similar to EZ-Creater and use open sessions all the time. The terms may vary amongest burning s/w, just understand what yours is asking, you more than likely are being prompted along the way, so be aware.

- Collapse -
Copy Cd's

Good information, to think of the cd as a floppy disk. Now, with the cd-RW (which I have some) do I need to format the cd like with the disk? Also, if I mess up the CD, how do I get rid of the information and start over?

Thanks for all the help, this is a great place.

- Collapse -
copy cd

yes you should inititally format the cdrw and if you "mess" it up you can just erase the data

- Collapse -
Images on CD-RW

A couple of years ago I arranged several thousand jpeg images on Memorex CD-RW disks. Today about five out of every hundred images are corrupt!

Thankfully, I had them also backed up on regular CD's.

These days I'm burning to DVD's and so far, no problems. Good luck

- Collapse -
I don't recommend you format a CD-RW

That can cause problems and it isn't necessary. You can add data to a CD-RW as long as the session isn't finalized. What you can't do is delete or erase only a portion or certain data. When you erase, it erases the entire disk.

What I do it add to a CD-RW until I get it full or I have everything I want on it. Then I make a copy of the CD-RW using a CD-R. Once that is completed, I erase the CD-RW and start over.

- Collapse -
As I have said before

I learn something everyday here.

Thanks Gail, I never thought of copying a full CD-RW to CD-R and then wiping the CD-RW.

It's so simple and obvious I am almost ashamed I hadn't thought about it myself, Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
you are welcome

I learn new stuff from these forums each time I read them.

- Collapse -
Normally, NO

Quick and simple, get new CD-RW disks, the cost is very low now. Just use it w/o any prep right from the git. If for some reason it doesn't work, you will be prompted as my experience has shown. In other words don't format, it should be ready to use right from the box. You can erase rather than reformat should decide to reuse the CD-RW disk as least try that method first. Even plain CDRs don't need to be formated or prepped, the process of burning will do all it needs "on the fly". The need to reformat only comes into play usually for some special need which for the life of me, never needed, so I'll be honest and say, I never encountered a problem doing the stpes above. If you seem to be making nothing bust "coasters" another name for failed CDs, think either the burner is going out or poor(cheap) CD blanks. You can then try to burn at a lesser rate, using the setup drop the burn process down to say from 24X to 20X or similar, OK.

good luck Happy -----Willy

CNET Forums

Forum Info