HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Copy and Paste "With the mouse" no longer works from online

by JCatGuy / May 12, 2009 3:00 PM PDT

Hello, hoping for some help...

Here goes, WHile, I'm on the internet and I see a paragraph I want to Copy, and then paste it to my Notepad, for example. When I left click to highlight the paragraph, and then right click, I don't get a menu anymore saying to COPY, CUT, PASTE...etc, instead when I right click I see a blue arrow in a little square box. When I cick on that box, 3 choices are given, Search with Google. Send with Google and Add Accelerators.

Can anybody help me on this. I used to have IE 7.0, along w/the full Google Toolbar 6.0.

THen I upgraded to IE 8.0, and downloaded Google Chrome. My computer technician and I noticed the problem and undeleted IE 8.0 and downgraded back to 7.0 and even 6.0 and it still didn't work...we even deleted Google Chrome. I wanted to re-install the old Google
Toolbar, but he said you're better off without toolbars.

Now, the only way I can copy off the net, onto a page in Word or Notepad, is the old fashioned slow way, CTRL + C to highlight, then click again then hit CTRL + V (to paste). But that takes forever.

Anybody have any clues? I'd really appreciate any help or ideas. I read many posts, and usually when Copy and Paste fails, it also fails even using the old fashioned method but not in my case. It works but it's way too timely.

Help!

Thank you, Jay

I"m running Window's XP, SP3, Intel Duo Core Proc. 2.66X 2.66, 3 gig Ram, 320 HD,

RoadRunner, IE 8.0.

PS...I read this might be due to clipboard and preventing people from copying and pasting their credit ID info which goes into Clipboard (when you use the mouse?), and prying eyes, steal that info, but, that just doesn't seem correct because everybody else is still able to right click/left click on mouse, to copy and paste from the internet to offline programs. And I can copy and paste w/mouse on non internet places, like from one spot on my Microsoft word, to another place. When I right click then I can highlight whatever I want and then go somewhere and and left cick, click paste, and copy it wherever I want (offline).
It's trying to copy and paste to sites online such as email address, sentences, into blogs or address boxes, that's the problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Copy and Paste "With the mouse" no longer works from online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Copy and Paste "With the mouse" no longer works from online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds to me like

Sounds to me like you need to find a new computer technician. IE8 may have its share of problems, and mostly that it's so new a lot of the crap written for IE6 and IE7 hasn't been updated yet, but it's NOT the source of your problem.

Your problem, quite simply, is that of installing some Google toolbar or other program that installed something into IE that altered the context menu. In that regard I can kind of see why pointing the finger at Chrome might have seemed tempting, but a good technician could have fixed this without having to remove Chrome, or revert you all the way back to the horrendously insecure IE6.

Honestly, the fastest way is to use keyboard shortcuts. Given a little practice, you won't even need to look at the keyboard. You just have one hand on the mouse, the other on the keyboard, and as soon as you've finished highlighting what you want to copy, you hit Ctrl+C, then quickly flip to another window, such as Notepad, and hit Ctrl+V to paste. Since the one hand never left the keyboard, it's a lot faster.

But your context menu, as I said, is messed up because you installed some Google Toolbar. Get rid of that toolbar, the context menu should return to its original state. You should also go back to using Chrome, or some other non-IE browser.

Collapse -
For some reason I thoght that if you're using Window's OS
by JCatGuy / May 17, 2009 5:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds to me like

In my case XP Professional...that Internet Explorer is the browswer of choice.
I didn't even realzie that Chrome was a browser I thought it was just an updated version of the google toolbar, "w/a chrome finish and of course, updates".
I want to write that word down you mentioned twice that you feel is what is goofed up and mention it to my techy and see what he says, and I'm expecting that he will and should know exactly what you're talking about.

Anyway, Thank you very much...BTW, there was a feature on Google Toolbar, I really loved and that was the yellow highlighting of whatever words you put in the search engine...so I put Google ToolBar 6.0 today, and it didn't make things worse or better but now I can get to my mailbox faster and click the highlighter and see the search words in yellow.

Thanks again, Jay

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.