Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Coping audio that plays on computer but will not play in car

I am trying to copy a self help audio book that I purchased for my son. Using Roxio, I made a copy and it plays on the computer; however, it will not play on my stereo or car system. I have a 2002 volvo so it does not have all the new technology that the newer models offer but my stereo is fairly new and can play mp3's which I do not own. Please help as I really would like a copy but do not want to pay another $150.00. Thanks for all your helpful advise in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coping audio that plays on computer but will not play in car
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coping audio that plays on computer but will not play in car
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Copy as an audio cd

In reply to: Coping audio that plays on computer but will not play in car

I'm not really familiar with Roxio. I use WMP 10/iTunes/RealPlayer. All of these allow me to burn audio cds that will work in most cd players - even my 10 year old one. Regardless of which program I use, it always goes through a "finalization" process. I believe it has to go through this process in order to be played on a regular cd player. After it goes through finalization you won't be able to add more to it.

Collapse -
In most burning software,

"disc copy" should do it.

Collapse -
Disc copy does not work

In reply to: In most burning software,

I have tried disc copy and it does not work. I have tried every option available using Roxio. I am thinking that the cd must be write protected but I know that people still copy these cd's so how can I copy this audio set?

Collapse -
Re: playing copied disk

In reply to: Disc copy does not work

If you can play the copied disk in your PC and any other PC (easy to check, and the first thing to do), AND you can play any copied music CD in both your car and your stereo (also easy to check), this must be a rather s

Then you've got some options:
1. Try to convert the CD-contents to mp3 and play that either in your stereo or in an mp3-player.
2. Keep playing that cd on your PC in stead of your stereo (this wouldn't help in your car, you'll need a notebook for that).
3. See if the copy plays on your sons stereo.
4. See if a copy made on any other PC behaves as you like.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Can you rip the disc to your computer and store it...

In reply to: Disc copy does not work

as .wav file? Kind of curious as to what is happening here.

Collapse -
What is happening here is that you guys are helping someone

In reply to: Can you rip the disc to your computer and store it...

create a pirated copy of a $150 source. Not a mod in sight so far. Chuckle.

Collapse -
I personally think this is just "fair use", but ...

In reply to: What is happening here is that you guys are helping someone

if the mod think otherwise, I am not going to cry about it. hehe.

Collapse -
You call Mama making a second copy FOR HERSELF while

In reply to: I personally think this is just "fair use", but ...

giving the original to her son fair use? Not even close.

Collapse -
Are you using CD-RW by any chance?

Because if you are, they won't work on regular cd players - car stereos or home stereos. They only work on computers.

Collapse -
This is not fair use

This is illegal.

I agree with kiddpeat on this subject.

This is not my forum but I am locking it.

CNET forums should not be aiding and abetting such activities

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.