Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Coordinating dial-up, wireless, and media storage

by Faydwyn / September 10, 2006 9:39 PM PDT

I live in a rural area where the only internet access is dial-up Sad , but I would like to be able to set up a wireless access point for my laptop (WinXP). I?ve come across two options, the first being a dial-up router. The second is to use the computer I was using before I got my laptop to create an ad-hoc network and access the internet through the older computer. It?s a Gateway with ME, Pentium III, 128MB RAM, and 14GB hard drive. This would require purchasing a wireless adapter for the Gateway. If this is true, how far away can the access point/Gateway be (it?s a loud computer)?

The other thing I would like to do is rip my CDs and be able to listen to the music files through my laptop, but I don?t want to fill up my laptop?s hard drive with music. Plus, I don?t think it?s big enough for all my CDs. There are articles online about turning an old computer into a server. I could do this with the Gateway, but the hard drive is way to small, it has a small case, and ME is flaky. I?ve also looked at external hard drives. I would like to be able to access my music files wirelessly (unless it is too slow do so). Something like the ''DSM-G600 Wireless Network Storage Enclosure'' (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=377&sec=0) would be cool, but I highly doubt it works with dial-up.

The other thing that needs to factor in is that I?m on a budget. So whatever can be done the most inexpensively, but still serve my purposes is what I?m looking for.

Any thoughts on how I can coordinate all these things?

Thanks in advance!
Faydwyn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coordinating dial-up, wireless, and media storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coordinating dial-up, wireless, and media storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?