Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cooling fan

by nondaj / August 16, 2004 9:20 AM PDT

XP Pro 2002
Pentium 4
CPU 2.53 GHz

Have tower with window so that I can see into the system. Just by chance I noticed the fan in the upper back part of tower has ceased turning. Opened tower and manually started fan. Turned on my PC and fan worked for about a minute and then has stopped again.

Is this fan supposed to turn ALL the time? And is there a program that will tell when your system is heating up? I fancy I smell units heating up but not sure if it is real or my imagination since I do not see that fan working now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cooling fan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cooling fan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cooling fan
by Coryphaeus / August 16, 2004 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: cooling fan

If it's in the back of the unit it's probably the power supply fan. And yes, it's supposed to run all the time. You should have other fans also and they all need to run.

Question. Would you run your car with no radiator? Same scenario, same end results. Fans are cheaper than a new PC. Pull it out and take it to a computer store for a replacement.

Motherboard Monitor is a great program and free. Do a Google search. It will support most mother boards.

Collapse -
by Yew / August 16, 2004 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: cooling fan

SOME fans are automatically turned on and off by a sensor-switch combo on the motherboard which will kick the fan on when temps in the case reach a certain point and off again when it's not necessary. Thing is, this is pretty uncommon, so my guess would be that your fan is basically dead.

Hopefully it's just a simple exhaust case fan which are cheap and easy to replace. If it's the power supply fan, that's not so cheap and not so easy to replace, but significantly more vital.

Collapse -
by Merl Priester / August 16, 2004 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: cooling fan

Just a note:
Excluding those tiny power supplies that HP and eMachine use to use, the fan in a PSU is a standard 80 mm case fan.

Some use bigger but most are 80mm.
If you are careful, you can swap out the fan.
Or you could just buy a new PSU.

Case fans run about 8 to 12 bucks.
PSU at www.compgeeks.com 20.00 shipped for a 450 watt or bigger.

Collapse -
by nondaj / August 16, 2004 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: cooling fan

Yes, found out this is an exhaust fan but having it replaced. Tech also told me he has set my PC in bios to kick off after a certain temperature so am safe if cooling fan does not function. Will try the program recommended for warning if fan goes off. Thanks guys for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.