Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Cooking locally

My wife has always disliked cooking, but she has become interested in 'eating locally' so she decided to learn more about eating food that has less environmental impact. One of the books she bought is called "Clean Food". I think it looks like an interesting cookbook but I can't believe she looked at it without noticing that it is a more-or-less Vegan cookbook. This from a woman whose vegetable of choice is French Fries. I'm not sure she is even going to taste the black bean and ham soup I'm serving with quinoa for supper tonight.

I'm curious to see how she approaches the recipes. Personally I'm not a vegan, though I do like to experiment with meatless meals. The recipes sound interesting to me. I'm not so sure she's going to like them.

I did notice something curious about the book, though. Some of the ingredients are not things I expect to see at the local Farmer's Market. Edamame or arame anyone? Yeah, I had to look them up, too. Those are awfully exotic ingredients for a 'locavore' to be using. Some of the recipes call for Kudzu, which I'm sure I can find, but I don't know if what we have here is exactly food grade plant material.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cooking locally
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cooking locally
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh, dear.

In reply to: Cooking locally

I suspect your wife may have been looking for organic or less-sprayed eats, or for those with a higher nutritional value for not having to have travelled several thousand miles. (Though I have to say that the red seedless grapes from Chile in the store now are wonderful!) I read somewhere that frozen vegetables have not lost as much of the nutrients a canned. And they add sodium to canned ones.

I have lost much of my desire for any meat. I now prefer it mixed with veggies as in a stew, soup or stir fry. I have never tried tofu. Vegetarian diets I have seen are heavy on cheese. Too much fat. I could go along with beans and brown for a protein.

But vegetarian pizzas I have eaten are very good. Again, it's the cheese.

It's nice you have access locally to a Farmer's Market. Ours is out of my driving range.

(I recall allergists saying that eating locally produced honey can help with seasonal allergies.)

BTW, I didn't take the time to research what those exotic items are. Happy

Angeline

Collapse -
veggie pizzas are great

In reply to: Oh, dear.

I prefer them over the standard pepperoni type.

Collapse -
(NT) Veggie lasagna is good, as well.

In reply to: veggie pizzas are great

Collapse -
They are 'sea vegetables'

In reply to: Oh, dear.

Think seaweed, but with a fancy name.

Collapse -
Have you had your kelp today?

In reply to: They are 'sea vegetables'

If you dip into ice cream or add dressing to your salad, you could be eating kelp without even knowing it. Yum!

The foods shown below and many other products contain algin (AL-jin), an ingredient that comes from giant kelp. Algin helps keep other ingredients smooth and blended. It's also used as a thickener and to keep baked foods from sticking to their wrappers.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EPG/is_n1_v30/ai_17879884/

Angeline
Collapse -
Veggie???

In reply to: Cooking locally

Heck, I've been eating beans and rice for yrs. makes me semi-veggie. But, boy add a chicken or pork or beef, what a dish. Now, throw in some chiles or prepared sauces, etc., then you let cook for eons and what comes out is a feast with gleamed plates. Its simple food but so filling. I use the "pyramid" method of eating now, drop a pile of food on a plate that resembles a pyramid, I'm a happy camper. Wink -----Willy

Collapse -
Yeah, I love beans and rice and various veggies ...

In reply to: Veggie???

Of course I like mine dressed up with steak or ham or sausage or ...
I've always had mixed feelings. I want to eat some vegetarian meals because too much meat is not a good thing for my health. But I want to eat meat because I LIKE meat.
I have unregenerate taste buds.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.