HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cookies

by Bob20Midview / November 19, 2006 6:52 AM PST

I have always stayed away from the Cookies files. I just downloaded CCleaner and ran analyze and it listed many cookie files to delete.
I have hundreds and hundreds of cookies in my system. What is your thinking on deleting the files CCleaner showed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cookies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cookies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On CCleaner, Applications I don't delete
by DarCLew2 / November 19, 2006 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Cookies

1] Ad-Aware SE; 2] Spybot S&D 3] Antivirus 4] Macromedia 5] WMPlayer are unchecked and, on the other side, in the second part is Temporary Files - they are Temp Files. Similar to Disk Cleanup, delete Temporay Internet Files, set Compress Old Files to 1 day, click on it & options, when you go to 1 day the next is 500 days, Temporary Internet Files and Recycle Bin.
In Internet Options, set History to zero, disk space I set to 8 MB.
If you ran Ad-Aware SE, a lot of those cookies could be tracking cookies. Same with Spybot S&D, it puts them into blocked sites under the Privacy Tab. I had put in 60 sites and Spybot more than 100.
Anytime I use notepad, wordpad, drive(A), zip drive, they are listed as Temporary Documents. I Edit and delete.

Collapse -
Cookies
by 1101doc / November 19, 2006 7:58 AM PST

Bob-

For the user cookies Can be a convenience on many sites that we visit often. Some allow us to remain logged in, some automatically load our data when we visit.

BUT. Many cookies (most?) exist for the benefit of the supplier.
At best the cookies tell them who, and how often someone is visiting/using services. At worst the cookies tell them EVERYTHING you are
doing.

SO. I use Opera. It allows me to set to "Allow all Cookies."
This speeds surfing. It also allows me to "Delete new cookies
when closing browser." This means that only the cookies that I have chosen to keep will remain. ALL the rest,good and bad are gone.

I set CCleaner to remove all the cookies but Opera. I do that myself.
Result: No unwanted cookies.

When I have no stored cookie for a site I must log on. Opera lets
me do that with one click, so no problem

Good Luck--1101doc

Collapse -
I agree with 1101doc's description of cookies.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 5:36 PM PST

For sites such as this, cookies are a good idea because they allow you to re-enter the site without having to log-on each time. So if you visit sites where you need to log-on, then they can be retained.

But for most other sites the cookies are planted by the web site to target the site to your past visit, and to track where you go on the site. They are generally harmless though.

In CCleaner you can select which cookies from the list you want to keep under Options > Cookies, but if you literally have hundreds it would take a while for you to scroll down the left hand list and transfer the ones you want to retain over to the right.

So, if this were me, I would be inclined not to save any, and allow CCleaner to delete them all. Then I would re-visit my most popular sites, re-logon, and then after a day or so run CCleaner again and select the cookies I want to keep. It would be a much easier task the 2nd time around.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank You All
by Bob20Midview / November 21, 2006 10:02 AM PST

Thanks to all..I used RegCure, Easy Cleaner and Opera. I cleaned them babies out! I am enjoying the CNET class that started Nov. 20, 2006.Getting my puter in tune. Bob

Collapse -
Bob20 -- the same thing automatically . . .
by Cursorcowboy / November 21, 2006 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You All

using the freeware utility, dated 09-Oct-2006, "12Ghosts Wash 8.09" for the operating systems 95/98/NT/2k/Me/XP/2003.

After I accumulate permanently wanted cookies, I simply set the parameters for this utility to write those to the system registry and then delete all other unwanted cookies on system boot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.