Computer Help forum

Question

Convverting 3 1/2" disc to CD/DVD/FlashDrive

by poohshaw / May 10, 2012 6:32 AM PDT

I have a very old computer that I ony use for data, the CD drive does not work, but the 3 1/2" drive does. I have all my data backed up on 3 1/2" drives and want to convert them to CD/DVD'S/FlashDrives. What device do I need to do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Convverting 3 1/2" disc to CD/DVD/FlashDrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Convverting 3 1/2" disc to CD/DVD/FlashDrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No conversion needed
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 6:36 AM PDT

Just copy the data from the floppy disks to the computer as temporary storage.

Then copy over to a flash drive. since you have no workable CD drive it would seem copying to CD is out of the question unless you either replace that drive or purchase a USB CD drive.

Mark

Collapse -
A very old PC ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: No conversion needed

might not have USB, or not support a flash drive. You need at least Windows 98 SE for that!

It's very well imaginable this is a Windows 95 PC.

Kees

Collapse -
Exactly what I figured
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: A very old PC ...

but since the OP mentioned a flash drive I assumed that this was an alternative the OP was considering.

Mark

Collapse -
Convverting 3 1/2" disc to CD/DVD/FlashDrive
by poohshaw / May 12, 2012 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: A very old PC ...

Yes the computer originally was with Windows 95, so there is no USB. It was upgraded to Millenium (ME) but a USB was not added. I think I am going to go with an external CD/DVD burner. What do you suggest?

Collapse -
To use an external CD/DVD burner you're going
by Steven Haninger / May 13, 2012 1:57 AM PDT

to need a USB port. If Win ME, you're also going to need burning software that works with it and there may not be much out there but some archived version of Nero. You can possibly add a USB card but it would need to plug into a MB slot. Hopefully you don't have at least a PCI slotted MB.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: very old computer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 6:38 AM PDT

You have many options. Such as:
1. Buy an external diskette drive for use on any other PC.
2. Buy an external CD/DVD-burner for use on this old PC.
3. Connect that old PC to Internet and mail to yourself.
4. Connect that old PC to Internet and use Dropbox or a comparable service
5. Copy from diskette to the hard disk of that old PC and mount that into any other PC
6. Copy from diskette to the hard disk of that old PC, put that in an external enclosure and connect that to another PC

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Does this support USB DVDRW drives?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 6:42 AM PDT

I added a pair of USB floppy drives in my collection years ago. This is exactly the scenario that these and my USB DVDRW drive comes in handy.

These have never been cheaper.
Bob

Collapse -
THANK-YOU
by poohshaw / May 12, 2012 1:43 PM PDT

THANK-YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION.

Collapse -
Simplest Process
by Schokers / May 13, 2012 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: THANK-YOU

If you have access to a more recent PC with USB ports and a burner, I would have thought the simplest process would be to:
1. Buy a USB Floppy drive (quite cheap) and connect it to the more recent PC
2. Insert your old floppy disks in this drive and copy them to the hard drive of the PC
3. Burn the files from the hard drive of the PC to CDs or copy them to flash drives

Collapse -
Simplest Process -
by poohshaw / May 14, 2012 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Simplest Process

Hello and thank-you for responding. Yes this is what I am doing. I haved bought a USB floppy drive from Amazon and am waiting for it to arrrive in the mail. It was $10.00!!! I can't wait to do this, I am then going to go to a laptop for a 2nd computer, instead of a Tablet. One of these days I do hope to get a Tablet...
Thank-you again. Cindy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?