General discussion

Converting WMA to MP3

Aug 19, 2007 10:25PM PDT

I know there have been a few threads already surrounding this issue, but I have some additional questions. First, does anyone know of any legit websites where you can purchase mp3 (not wma) without a subscription service? This means actually being able to pay .99 cents or so to download the song and keep it. Second, does anyone know of any freeware that will disable DRM so you can download WMA's and then convert them to MP3 format? I downloaded a trial version but I forget the name now something converter but it was 19.99 after 14 days. And it actually worked. I had a few WMA's that had DRM built in and it decoded them as MP3.

Thanks for the help,
Michael

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Converting WMA to MP3
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Converting WMA to MP3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It can be done
Aug 20, 2007 10:23AM PDT

I can only answer your second question. Roxio's Easy Media Creator allows you to capture and convert to mp3, any song playing on your computer. It even has a pre-roll feature so you can begin capture several seconds later (after giving command) so you have time to move your mouse to the play control of your media player, to play the song.The older versions called Easy CD Creator, made it easier by a direct file conversion. I guess they had to change it to this method, to satisfy the RIAA.

- Collapse -
follow up to "It can be done"
Aug 20, 2007 10:29AM PDT

I forgot to mention, I know this isn't freeware. But it does a lot more than just file conversion, so if you think you might need it for all the other media tasks it can do, then it might be a good investment. Sorry, I don't know of any freeware that converts .wma files.

- Collapse -
It can be done
Aug 20, 2007 11:12PM PDT

You didn't mention whether or not the Roxio program can disable DRM rights? Like I stated, I know there are other programs if you do a search that can disable DRM, I even used one on a free trial. I guess if there is, no one has created a freeware because 1. technically it's illegal to disable the protection and 2. there is $ to be made because of the internet music stores that are only providing music via WMA so they can put the protection on it.

I know that I can get around this whole situation by burning the WMA with the DRM protection to a CD-R in a regular audio format and then re-ripping them to mp3 format. I just didn't want to go through all that effort if there was a program I could use to download the WMA's and then go ahead and break the protection and convert them to mp3's.

Thanks,
Michael

- Collapse -
DRM...
Aug 21, 2007 12:03PM PDT

1.) Roxio did have a release or two that did not fully respect DRM, but it was quickly patched and they did their best to disable and remove those releases.

2.) As you said, circumventing DRM is illegal, so any replies aiding that approach will be deleted on sight and the thread potentially locked. (Requests for private chats/e-mails concerning such activities are also prohibited.) Best to avoid that.

3.) Remember, most DRM-protected songs also restrict your abilities to burn them as Audio CDs for worry-free ripping, so it's not a valid option very often.

My suggestion: Stick to purchasing DRM-free songs, if that's what you want...even Walmart joined the bandwagon, as stated below, so there is a growing collection to choose from without breaking any laws.

John

- Collapse -
Walmart Music Downloads...
Aug 20, 2007 12:56PM PDT

recently started selling MP3's but I only remember seeing one or two. I don't know of any freeware that will allow you to convert music with a DRM. Legally you can't strip your music of its DRM but it is possible if you have burn rights then you can burn your music to disc and rip it back to your computer DRM free in whatever format you want.

- Collapse -
Easiest way to do it if you have Nero or other music program
Sep 28, 2007 5:29AM PDT

The easiest way to convert is to burn the .wma files to a normal audio cd. The files will be changed to .cda, losing the drm associated with .wma.

Then, reinsert the cd and open nero. They have a converter that will allow you to make them anything from mp3 (and pro) to mpeg4.

i believe other programs like winamp and musicmatch can do the same thing...hope this helps

- Collapse -
One issue though...
Sep 28, 2007 6:39AM PDT

Most DRM-protected WMA files have the burning restrictions enabled, preventing the user from burning an Audio CD and then ripping the songs. It will work in some cases, but don't be surprised if/when it fails.

John

- Collapse -
yeah...true...but places like walmart.com
Sep 28, 2007 6:53AM PDT

give you only 10 burns in .wma with the restrictions. In other cases with no burns i guess ur screwed. I don't think that they count burns in Nero though so trying it might be a good idea in ne case. Plus its the cheapest/fastest trial w/no downloads needed.

- Collapse -
WMA Converter
Oct 4, 2007 8:26PM PDT

WMA Converter is what you need. I purchased this program for $14.99 and have legally downloaded music from Itunes. I than convert these songs into MP3's

- Collapse -
download.com
Oct 9, 2007 9:14PM PDT
- Collapse -
a hint
Oct 7, 2008 12:17AM PDT

Hello, I had found a site you can convert files formats and perphaps it work for you

http://www.freefileconvert.com/

Take a look here, you also can download videos from youtube and metacafe to your comp

- Collapse -
Virtual Audio Device
Mar 24, 2009 12:14AM PDT

Virtual Audio Device - is the most universal and almost lossless technique. DRM converter will just play your DRM music through virtual speakers while capturing and recording produced digital audio output.
I think it is legal.

A lot of software use this technology.

For example http://www.convert-wma-to-mp3.biz/

- Collapse -
That's one to avoid.
Mar 24, 2009 12:44AM PDT

Why? We see that title spammed to the forums too often.

Do you have other suggestions?

CNET Forums

Forum Info