Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Converting wma to mp3

by cableghost / January 16, 2007 10:56 AM PST

As I understand it...if you download wma 128 bitrate music files, you may convert them to mp3, however, you cannot increase the quality from wma 128 to say mp3 320, correct?

------------
Scott

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting wma to mp3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting wma to mp3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure you can, but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Converting wma to mp3

It should sound the same but take up more space.

Why do that?

Bob

Collapse -
Bitrate
by cableghost / January 16, 2007 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Sure you can, but...

That was my question and thank you for your response.

Why is it that music download sites don't offer songs at higher bitrates...is it a matter of bandwidth cost?

Collapse -
Or...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Bitrate

Most MP3 players don't play 320Kb rate mp3s?

It's been beat to death but you do know that earbuds kill so much fidelity that you may have to imagine what's missing on most mp3s.

Bob

Collapse -
MP3 Player
by cableghost / January 17, 2007 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Or...

This is all centered around music in the home. I guess the real question here should have been...

If I could change the quality of a digital music file from 128 to 320, would that produce any more quality that my Roku Soundbridge could present? Honestly, from my Roku, I have listened to a 128 wma file and a song I ripped from a CD into 320 mp3 and I could tell only a slight difference...wondering if that would be true of all music.

Thanks for the posts.

--------
Scott

Collapse -
You can't put quality back in. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: MP3 Player

"If I could change the quality of a digital music file from 128 to 320, would that produce any more quality that my Roku Soundbridge could present?"

MP3 is what is known as LOSSY COMPRESSION. Once you compress it, the information is removed forever.

Hope this answers your question.

Bob

Collapse -
Lossless
by cableghost / January 17, 2007 7:46 AM PST

Well, I did a little research to discover that apple uses a lossless mp4 encoder. With that in mind, would a file downloaded from iTunes sound better than a typical wma 128 file from other on-line stores? Remember, these are played on a home sound system, not through headphones.

Collapse -
For that you have to test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Lossless

But from members here some have railed against Apple's offering as substandard. I can only think they are comparing it to CD output.

Bob

Collapse -
Apple lossless
by ktreb / January 18, 2007 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Lossless

This format only applies to songs ripped from the original CD, not from songs downloaded from the iTunes store.

Collapse -
Apple Lossless
by cableghost / January 18, 2007 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: Apple lossless

Ok, thanks. Are the iTunes songs downloaded as AAC or the like and how do they compare to wma 128?

Collapse -
iTunes songs
by ktreb / January 18, 2007 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Apple Lossless

are downloaded as 128 kbps AAC. I really can't hear the difference, but I'm not an audiophile.

Collapse -
earbuds
by karlraspperry / August 14, 2007 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Or...

i grew up as a radio broadcaster. i used to use koss pro a4 headphones. to this date, this is best sounding headphones. i think i'm one of the few broadcasters that have to seemed to retained my hearing.
earbuds or they should be called earbugs. they, the earbuds do give you a sense of quite. i understand that is important with all the backgound noise.
do yourself a favor, if you like sound quality, no buds.

Collapse -
Createing Audio Files..
by castingRod47 / January 31, 2007 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Converting wma to mp3

First you need a good file to start..
there are audio engineers that help produce lousy recordings..
My best example is the French engineered sound on Elton John's early songs..they really bad-terrible..
Then there are some recording by Eric Clapton and the Allman Brothers..each seperately..I think use a un-accomplished Sound-Level..real bad for your 60-CD Changer..when their disk comes up for PLAY and its way-out of a sound level..real bad..not so terrible..
Bon Jovi....I think this group has the best Sound Engineers..
There you have one situation at the start..
By DEFAULT I believe you get 128 kbps..either in wma or mp3..
Useing a Sound Editor..its possible to correct minor flaws/like Sound Level..Bass & Treble are a little tricky to get perfect..it might take about 5-takes..
AUTO-Sound Leveling..<<<<----turn it OFF..
Some Sound recordings have SOUND-effects..such as moving the sound between differant Microphones..like when your HeadPhones hear the L&R channels run back-and-forth/sound effects also come in differant forms..
I have found....Auto-Sound-Leveling...takes these out..or just looses them completly..
I never use Auto Sound Leveling...
as for your FILE SIZE..
this all depends on your Portable Media Choice..
Like...CD...DVD...MP3 Player....I use from 96 kbps-->>192 kbps..
..and get increadible sound in $$20.00 Head Phones..even my Digital Amp gives un-believible PLAYBACK in those file sizes..on CD/DVD..
For EXPORT..files..I'll SEND..WMV at 500KB(some 30-files)at 218kbps/with good results..in websites w/problems..or I'll try a 10-20 MB File for SERVERS that are running good Uploads..at 692kbps..
Audio is easier than Video Files..
Your BROWSER may only allow a 10-MB File..or a 20-MB in the MAIN Account Browser..
Usually 30-uploads will destroy my OS..and I need to re-Install everything..so I've restricted alot of the Internet UPLOAD-stuff..
MP3 is an excellent FILE..its great for DVD-movies..
WMA will also be accepted in a DVD-movie Project..
I've tried both in my MP3 Player(DELL DJ-jukebox)15GB..from 700-1400 TRACKS/great sound thru Headphones,,96kbps-128kbps-192kbps..why go higher..??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?