Question

Converting video files from PMB to Windows Movie Maker

Hi, I have a Sony Handicam which downloads video files to PMB, a video editior and player which is extremely limited. PMB has a conversion procedure that allows you to convert the files used in that program to WMV the type of file used in Windows Movie Maker. However, after the files are converted, they are not recognized in Movie Maker. This seems to be a common problem and based on what I've read in other forums it seems to involve installing some Codec on my computer. However, the solutions provided on these forums are inconsistent and not clearly written. Interestingly, Tech support from Sony and Microsoft is totally non-helpful and in the case of Sony off the wall. I am hopeful that someone can provide a clear explanation of what I need to do to convert these files.
Steve Wilson

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Converting video files from PMB to Windows Movie Maker
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Converting video files from PMB to Windows Movie Maker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
You're right.

While I'll share titles I use, I stop short of tutorials. You may wonder why. Ready?

Because no matter what we've tried, folk will not use the old reply with the long version. They want a fresh, step by step to their new query (even if it was the same answer.)

If you want to know the titles I've used, I can do that in seconds. Tutorials are best done on the web.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: "You're Right
Hi Bob, I'll work with whatever you are willing to give.
Thanks,
Steve
- Collapse -
Here's the titles I'm using this year so far.

The first one is likely the easiest. I'll stick with free titles for now.

HANDBRAKE. Great stuff.

For playing content VLC PLAYER (still!)

Now it does have "Open Candy" but MEDIAINFO is worth having. After that is GSPOT CODEC APPLIANCE from http://download.cnet.com/GSpot/3000-2248_4-10381198.html

These media information tools help me find those missing CODECs when "it won't play."

And finally the Guru tool. VIRTUAL DUB is free and has too many tricks for me to list but paired with the above we are have just about all rounds filled in our weapon selection.

-> But wait, the last two items I always find myself using is DVD FLICK and IMGBURN. These for the final steps of making a nice Video DVD.

ALL these titles are free, all do something very well.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: Titles used this year.

Thanks Bob. I'll start playing with these.
Steve

CNET Forums