HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Converting video file formats

by ramonahailes / March 1, 2011 3:46 PM PST

I run Windows XP Home Ver 2002. I recently installed Nero and ran Nero Vision Essentials for burning my videos from hard drive onto a DVD disc. All my original video files are in .wmv (Windows Media Audio/Video file)format and I use Windows Media Player for playback. For some reason, Nero has changed this format for some of my videos(on my hard drive) to a "Movie Clip? .mp4?? format and now I cannot save to disc nor play these videos through Windows Media Player as i was able to do before. I uninstalled Nero completely but the problem still exists. How do I convert these files back to .wmv format?
Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting video file formats
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting video file formats
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you try...
by ahtoi / March 2, 2011 1:15 AM PST

rename them to .wmv?

Collapse -
Converting video file formats
by ramonahailes / March 2, 2011 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: Have you try...

Thank you for replying Happy however, Renaming the files will not change the format which is what I need to do. There is no option for SAVING that file as far as I can tell..if there was, I may have been able to re-save it as a .wmv file. I need to know how to convert the format back to .wmv on my hard drive. But many thanks for replying.

Collapse -
re: original files
by Pepe7 / March 2, 2011 7:37 AM PST

Are you certain Nero didn't simply create separate MP4s of the originals? What happens when you use the wildcard search function on your PC for *.wmv files(?) It's quite possible the latest Nero used MP4 out of the box (default).

I suggest using something less cumbersome such as DVD Flick.
http://www.dvdflick.net/index.php

Collapse -
Or...
by Dan Filice / March 2, 2011 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: re: original files

It's a pity more people don't spend the $20 for QuickTime Pro. It reads most video and audio formats and exports out in most video and audio formats, easily and all in one step. There seems to be so many "sorta woulda coulda kinda" programs for the PC that seem to stuggle or cloud what should be an easy process.

Collapse -
QT Pro is nothing special per se
by Pepe7 / March 2, 2011 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: Or...

<shrugs>

It's only advantage is the Apple branding, if someone happens to feel strongly about Apple necessarily being superior in AV related tasks.

For very basic, no frills video files-to-DVD there are plenty of other options that are suitable IME.

Collapse -
Re: format changed
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 7:00 PM PST

I find it hard to believe Nero changed the input files without you asking it. Did you check the file creation and modification date?

If really changed and unplayable with WMP I see the following options:
1. Get the original back from your backup.
2. Convert back. See http://www.google.com/search?q=+convert+mp4+to+wmv
3. Find a player that can play the current format.

Kees

Collapse -
video formats
by ramonahailes / March 2, 2011 9:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re: format changed

Thank you for replying Happy Nero only asked for the input files ..it did not offer me any options at any stage. If it did, it was not apparent. However, since you mentioned it, I remember now that I was initially in another part of Nero, not the actual burning section when this happened and it seemed to be "collecting" the files and because I did'nt think this looked right, I stopped the process. Perhaps this is why only 7 of the files were changed and not the whole lot.
But I must thank you once again...I downloaded a conversion programme and it has worked perfectly. Many thanks for your suggestions.

Collapse -
video formats
by ramonahailes / March 2, 2011 7:10 PM PST

Thank you for replying :). Not sure that I follow the first para of yr reply; however a search for .wmv files results in all the files with that extension MINUS those (7) that have been converted by Nero to .mp4. A search for .mp4 files gives me the same result. Although the Search function does not locate the 7 files, they show up in the folder but i cannot play them or copy them to disc. I have audio but no visual.

I have downloaded DVD Flick (tks for that suggestion) and yes, its quite simple to use. My problem still exists though....how can i convert those 7 files on my external hard drive back to .wmv?

Collapse -
Re: video formats
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: video formats

You write "Although the Search function does not locate the 7 files, they show up in the folder but i cannot play them or copy them to disc."

- If search doesn't locate those, then how do they show up? Or - the other way around - if the show up in the folder, then why doesn't the search function find them?
- You can't play them because you don't have a mp4 player. That might be OK.
- You can't copy (burn) them to disc (that's DVD, I suppose). Why can't you? You can burn ANY file to DVD as long as it's less than 4.7 GB.

Something seems wrong here.

Kees

Collapse -
video formats
by ramonahailes / March 2, 2011 9:12 PM PST
In reply to: Re: video formats

Yes, something does seem wrong re. the search and find part of it. and yes, its a DVD disc i was trying to burn to and no...it refused to "drag" or copy/transfer those 7 files into the burn listing screen.
However, you have solved my problem and tks very much for that. I dont want to use Nero again...can you plz recommend another disc burning programme...a less complicated one that handles any type of file? tks.

Collapse -
Re: disc burning
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 9:16 PM PST
Collapse -
video formats
by ramonahailes / March 2, 2011 7:22 PM PST

Thanks for replying Happy I agree with you especially with "what should be an easy process". Yes, i can still get QuickTime Pro (I just happened to have Nero)but would it solve my existing problem of the .mp4 files on my external hard drive. I cant even find a SAVE option for the files which may allow me to change the ext. Tks once again.

Collapse -
Changing extension changes(?)
by Pepe7 / March 2, 2011 11:24 PM PST

You threw me for a loop there. I'm not certain if this is an issue of semantics, or something else.

If you want to change a file extension you can use windows explorer to navigate to the files, then change the extension and hit 'enter'. But that doesn't change how the files are encoded.

If you use a combination of VLC, GOM, Real Player & FLV player, IME there's almost nothing you cannot play on your PC running XP. Been there, done that. Only drawback will be any HD content that may needs newer/faster hardware to play smoothly.

Collapse -
Nero is a bloated goat
by Pepe7 / March 2, 2011 11:17 PM PST

It's such a bloated piece of software now that I am surprised they still sell as well as they do. Roxio's the same situation IME and O.

Quite often neophytes keep clicking through the myriad of sofware options w/o carefully reading what's being presented. If that wasn't the case, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Nero had some very odd default software settings one had to change at the get-go.

Collapse -
Simply use GOM player to play MP4s
by Pepe7 / March 2, 2011 11:19 PM PST
Collapse -
video formats
by ramonahailes / March 4, 2011 1:44 PM PST

Thank you very much for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.