Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Converting tapes to digital

I'm helping a coworker convert his collection of tapes to digital. I'm assuming that I should be able to connect a tape player to the line in on his computer's motherboard, use a program to encode it to wav or mp3...right?
What I'd like to know is (besides whether or not you can do it that way)

1- will the regular integrated sound on a motherboard do a decent job of encoding?
2- what type of cable should I use to connect the two devices? Something to plug into the tape player's headphone jack and then the input?
3- whats the best program for encoding... is there a free program that is close or better than the best retail program?

Thanks for your time on any responses.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting tapes to digital
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting tapes to digital
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here are my thoughts.

In reply to: Converting tapes to digital

1. That's impossible to say. You will have to try it and see.

2. Most computers today use a 1/8 inch miniplug adaptor. Every one I've ever seem is stereo. It's probably miniplug (earphone) to miniplug (line in).

3. I don't know about free programs. Someone else may have that answer. You do want one that will write to disk during the capture process. Windows has a capture program, but it keeps the data in memory until the capture is complete.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Any program suggestions?

Collapse -
reply;

In reply to: (NT) Any program suggestions?

I use "audio cleaningLab" by Magix. Very good; about $40.

Collapse -
encoding tapes to digital

Well...You could connect your music system to the computers' line in with the help of a simple audio jack. My computer has Soundmax as it's sound card. Use a freeware programme like Audacity which will help you capture the sound(of your music system) to your computer. THere you go. you just recorded or rather "captured the sound"!! Of course, there are a lot of factors to watch out for. The sound levels have to be monitored otherwise you will get clipping or harsh distorted sounds.

Even if you keep the volume at minimal levels, you could enhance the sound later. Bear in mind, that this is not a simple process. It will take some time of practice. And remember...if you're concerned about your musical colleciton, always encode in a lossless format(ex: wav) and then enhance or improve the sound. Once you're done, then you can convert to mp3. Good luck!

Collapse -
tape to CD

I have tried a few things. I compared a song from an LP that ran through the standard RIAA equilizer to the same song recorded on cassette. I digitized the tape and noticed that I needed about 3 or 4 db boost starting gradually at about 11 khz. I found hiss at about 16 khz so I cut it way down.

Can't say too much about cassettes. I can get a decent digital image but feel much better with vinyl. the advantage is obvious since the manufacturers use a common standard.

In general you have to boost the upper end starting at about 9 khz and then cut it down at 16 khz or you get tape hiss. the lower end usually has to be reduced about 2 db or so.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.