Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Converting ruler to Word page measurements

I no longer have a typewriter, so when trying to fill out forms neatly, I use an Office 97 Word blank document.Using a ruler, I measure from the top and left margins of the paper to pinpoint exactly where to type. Yet the inches on the screen (even when the default is set to units of inches) don't match my ruler measurements. What is the best way to fill out forms using a printer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting ruler to Word page measurements
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting ruler to Word page measurements
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's at Options.

In reply to: Converting ruler to Word page measurements

At Opened Word document, go to Tools>Options. General Tab. Measurement units can be changed from in to mm (near bottom of the page).

Collapse -

In reply to: Converting ruler to Word page measurements

Make a fill-in-the blanks form in Word. Then print 'data only'. That's a checkbox in Tools>Options>Print. Then you only have to invest time to position all fields in the correct place for the paper form once. From then on, it's just fill-in-the-blanks, and everything else from the screen isn't printed.
It's a feature of Word, so better use it if it suites you.

Hope this helps.


Collapse -

In reply to: Converting ruler to Word page measurements

You write via the forum mail:
" Thank you Kees for your input on my problem. Just to clarify my problem, I receive "requests for quotes" on customer forms by fax; normally you easily fill in the blanks with a typewriter (which I now don't have;so I try to line up the blank fill-ins with my printer by using a blank word (Office 97) document and the ruler (in inches or mm).
Per your suggestion, do I need to "create" a facsimile of the customer's form (which can go into pages!)with the blank fill-ins?? Note that the ruler has 2 sections of the first fill-in, the measure from the top, then the second which starts the units all over again
How would YOU proceed to fill in say a credit application form that you received in the mail? Many many thanks for your expertise on this!!"

Indeed, my answer was under the assumption that it were your own forms you wanted to fill in, and not forms varying by customer. If each form is unique, it doesn't make sense indeed to make an empty form and fill in the blanks and fill in the data only. So your clarification clearly invalidates my suggestion.

I think I would keep using my own typewriter or that of my wife. We both kept it (but haven't been using it for years). And, of course, make a photocopy of the document I completed with my own data before sending the offer to the potential customer.
And I'm sure you can buy another one somewhere. That might be easier than using Word.

The alternative would be to make your OWN form for sending out quotes. That can easily be filled in and printed, be it in Word or Excel or Access or even pdf. But it wouldn't be attractive to retype many pages of the customers form, of course.

Your business seems a little bit unstructured, while forms presume some structure. And if it's your business, you impose that structure. But I must admit I don't fully grasp the details of the forms.

That brings me back to your questions on rulers. Bing in Holland, I've got both the horizontal ruler and vertical ruler in my Word 97 set to cm. And I see that using A4 paper (21.0 x 29.7 cm) and the page margins (upper, lower, left and right) set to the default of 2.5 (which I really should change some time), the horizontal ruler leaves 16 cm, and the vertical ruler leaves 24.7 cm, so I really think I wouldn't have any problem to type something to appear on say 15.7 cm vertical and 5.7 cm horizontal on the printed paper (although it would be easier with margins set to 1 or even 0 cm, but my printer won't allow 0).
Obviously, there's no relation to the cm or inches on the paper and the cm or inches on the screen. My 16 cm on paper is 21 cm on the screen (15", 600x800), but that doesn't matter at all.
So I must say, I don't get your problem, in fact.


Collapse -
RE filling out forms.

In reply to: Converting ruler to Word page measurements

Forms sent to you, using a computer and printer.

What I do.

? Open up a blank Excel worksheet. At page setup, configure the paper size and margins to suit the form.

? Configure the worksheet to show the griddles, or make the worksheet into a table. Then go to View>Normal so that the page right border appears. Mark the location, and fill in the top row of cells with a, b, c....etc, and the left column with 1, 2, 3....etc. so that you know the location of each cell.

? Print out the blank worksheet. See the table of cells with the markings ?

? Super-impose or lay the worksheet on top of the form and hold it up to the light. Now you can see where the location of the blanks on the form are at the worksheet.

? With a new blank Excel worksheep created as above but without the table cells, type in the required information(or replacement) at the cells where the blanks should be. Save the result as an Excel template so that another person will just need to change the informtion.

? Print, using the form.

? You may need to adjust the length and height of cells to get the position of the blanks just right.

The above can be done using Word, but I find using Excel much easier, having no need to measure using a ruler.

I hope I have given you an idea of what can be done.

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.