PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Converting IDE to Serial ATA, problems :(

Win XP, Home, ver 2002, SP2, AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+, 2.01 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Hi people, appologies for the title of my previous post, as I did not read the "Hardware Sticky" note at the top and I am also new to this. Sad

I bought a Plextor PX-810SA DVDRW drive and I only realized my mistake when it arrived and the connection were different. I only have IDEs on my mobo and no SATA, so I thought, how the hell am I gona do this now. Well, I bought an IDE to Serial ATA Motherboard Adapter from StarTech (PATA25ATA) and the converting cables for the power supply etc.
I got to a stage where by the drive comes up on the boot up and it is also recognized in the BIOS but nothing comes up on Windows My Computer.
Can please anyone hlp me... Any suggestions... any tips...anything would be very much appeciated. Happy

All the best to you guys and I hope you having a great weekend.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting IDE to Serial ATA, problems :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting IDE to Serial ATA, problems :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to activate it. . .

In reply to: Converting IDE to Serial ATA, problems :(

In Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, on the left, Disk Management. The new drive should be there, right click it. . .

Collapse -
thanks Coryphaeus

In reply to: You need to activate it. . .

Ok, I will follow your suggestion once I get home. Working at the moment lol.
Thank you very much for you reply, I will let you know if it worked.

Wink

Collapse -
nope, the drive it's not there

In reply to: thanks Coryphaeus

Sad Nope, the drive it's not there... In fact I just remembered that I had done this...but I have looked so much to try to get this fixed... man...
Any other suggestions please Happy
Collapse -
Why not take it back and exchange it

In reply to: Converting IDE to Serial ATA, problems :(

for an ide, or buy a new one if that's not possible, drives are pretty cheap.
I don't know of any pci sata/ide cards that work with CD/DVD drives, only with hdd's.

Collapse -
oh well... :(

In reply to: Why not take it back and exchange it

Thanks for your reply anmor, I am still looking around in search of some ideas on forums and general seaches on the web. Your suggestion is as valid as any other one and if nothing else works I will have to resign and keep it to install on my next machine which I hopefuly won't take too long to materialise lol.
Meanwhile let's see what comes up.
Man...
If anyone has some other ideas to try please do tell Wink

Good day, or night, to all of you
Happy

Collapse -
I've never used them for such but I have several

In reply to: Why not take it back and exchange it

Promise Technology IDE controllers that indicate they support ATAPI drives (see link top of page 2). It says ...

"With Ultra133 comes the proven Promise BIOS that automatically recognizes the capacity of even the largest Ultra ATA drives today. Large LBA mode support means you can use ATA drives exceeding 137GB without using manufacturers? software drivers. Got the gadget bug? If more is better, Ultra133 TX2 is the perfect choice for adding conflict-free peripherals to your system. Ultra133 TX2 and its two ATA ports co-exist with the motherboard?s two ATA ports. Now you can combine up to 8 ATA drives and ATAPI peripherals (CD-RWs, DVDs, etc...) in any one PC."

http://www.promise.com/marketing/datasheet/file/Ultra133tx2DS_v3.pdf

Also looks as if Newegg offers some controllers that support ATAPI devices too...link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124016

Like you said ...for $30 he could just get a compatible CD-DVD.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks VAPCMD :)

In reply to: I've never used them for such but I have several

Thank VAPCMD,
A lot of stuff to check out. It's my day off today and I will certainly check those links out. Funny how these problems, despite the arrrrggg factor, are always an opportunity to learn more hehehehe.
I have been testing this little controller conversion thingy, changing the pins the various options of master slave and the BIOS only recognizes it on both J1 and J2 connections as single drive. Other than that...it does not even get them. Now I am wondering...if the BIOS recognizes the drive, make and model, why does not come up in windows my computer???

Thank you guys for all your support Happy
Any more suggestions will be welcome and you all have a most excellent day Wink

Collapse -
Those little converters...most I've see are so

In reply to: Thanks VAPCMD :)

overpriced, I've avoided them like the plague. I'm the proud owner of none !

With CD-DVD drives as inexpensive as they are...I'd go for an ATA CD or a compatible controller.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yes VAPCMD you right

In reply to: Those little converters...most I've see are so

I got a reply from the StarTech.com technical people and they suggested the "PCISATA4R1" which costs

Collapse -
The devil is in the details...sometimes we luck out and

In reply to: Yes VAPCMD you right

others, our luck runs out.

VAPCMD

PS..I like Plextor but there an awful lot of decent CD-DVD-DL optical drives that work very nicely too. Take a look at Newegg.com...lot of optical choices and lots of buyer feedback on the products.

Collapse -
thanks VAPCMD :)

In reply to: The devil is in the details...sometimes we luck out and

Yes I will, sometimes i do get stuck with things i know... well, don't we all... and my last plextor lasted ages and always working fine but, saying that, I am sure I could as well been able to say the same of many other drives had I had them...lol let's be honest here, I am a sucker for "perceived" good brand names lol Wink
I will certainly check the one you mentioned, maybe I can save a few bucks, or pounds in my case lol

Have a great day VAPCMD and thanks again

Collapse -
been there

In reply to: thanks VAPCMD :)

Plextor makes great drives, but the price/performance ratio isn't worth it. You end up spending 3-4x more for a plextor when you whouldn't notice the difference from a Lite-On or LG or BENQ. Save your money next time.

As for iDE>SATA, you need that promise controller, and it needs to be as fast as possible otherwise the drives will not boot up in POST. As of now I'm using a Promise TX400 controller, which has 4 ports, to run an optical drive and three auxiliary HDDs. There is no master/slave, as it's running through the interface of the controller, hence the devices are only recognized upon bootup.

Because you are adding an additional middleman between boot sequences (a PCI bus), if it doesn't recognize the drives quickly enough yor computer will simply stop at POST, and then reboot. Any controller or device wen youre tinkering with pins and jumpers is not worth your time, that's what SATA2 was invented for.

UK site: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124510

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.