Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

converting from pc to mac

by tinystamper / January 23, 2006 7:05 AM PST

I am trying to transfer my files from my pc running windows xp to a new mac ibook using file sharing. I have a wireless net work in my house and want to use my pc as a server to access the files on the pc. When I go into my mac and say connect to server, it asks for an address and I don't know what to put in. Both computers can connect to the internet fine but I can't get them to talk to each other. I am a novice at networking and despite running all the wizards etc, I still cannot get my files across to the mac. Can anyone walk me through it step by step. How do I find out my pcs tcp/ip address or what to I need to make this work.
Thank you so much.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
An easier way
by joe_smith / January 23, 2006 9:23 AM PST

OS X comes with an FTP server, and all you have to do is turn it on. OS X automatically opens the necessary ports on the firewall if you have it running, so no worries there.

Go to the Sharing section of the System Preferences app, and check the FTP Server box. Along the bottom of the window will be all the info you need to connect to your iBook using any FTP program you want on Windows. That way you can move files back and forth with ease, since Apple tends to break Samba (the Windows file sharing program) from time to time in various updates like they do NFS (another method of file sharing that doesn't work so well with Windows) and a few other legacy protocols. Best of all, FTP can resume file transfers if they get interrupted. SMB (Windows file sharing) has to start over from the beginning from Windows. (IIRC, OS X can resume SMB transfers, but only if they initiate from OS X)

Collapse -
please explain a bit more
by tinystamper / January 23, 2006 9:31 PM PST
In reply to: An easier way

Sorry but you lost me at FTP. What do I need to do on the windows pc? I understand about clicking on sharing in the mac but not sure what I have to activate on the windows pc. I am so frustrated with it!
Thanks
Tinystamper.

Collapse -
Pick and install an FTP client
by joe_smith / January 23, 2006 10:23 PM PST

One such option, out of dozens, would be FileZila. You then use the information given in the sharing section of the system preferences app on the Mac to log in. You can then move files back and forth at will from the Windows machine.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!