Desktops forum

General discussion

Converting Film Reels

by betsyrose1988 / August 10, 2008 3:02 PM PDT

Hello, I am working on starting a business doing film editing/photo slide shows/etc. I am all set up for everything, exept for converting the old film reels to DVD. Of course, this is what I have had the most requests for. I am looking for the equipment to do this, and any instruction books etc. on it would also be helpful, if there is any. Because this is not just for a few old reels that I have stored somewhere, I want something that works the best, even if it is slow, takes up a lot of CPU space, or is expensive. I work off of both Mac & PC platforms, so I don't have any compatability issues. Any info on this will be helpful, becuase right now I am just looking into it, and don't have any time issues. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting Film Reels
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting Film Reels
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
interesting
by ramarc / August 11, 2008 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Converting Film Reels

you'll probably get more feedback on a forum devoted to professional video but for a relatively low-cost option, i suggest you look into a custom made projection box and a high definition camcorder.

the projector displays the image on a sheet of vellum or frosted glass which the camcorder would then record.

P< | >C

the image would be mirrored and you'd use your software of choice to flip it. this layout would avoid any keystone issues but you'd have to use a very low output bulb or you may get a hotspot in the center of the image.

Collapse -
Oh no...
by Willy / August 11, 2008 1:33 AM PDT

You got a problem, IMHO. Before any fancy digital equip. was around or specially build to handle VHS transfer recording, they did it this way: play movie on screen and record it on another media. Effectively, you're left in the same boat, unless some vendor offers such equipment, google the business side, I'm not into any video buffing. The owner home version of VHS to DVD was a small player screen box and it wasn't the greatest output or very limited but got the job done. As the difference of film and VHS is obvious you see your quest before you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Never been easier to research such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2008 1:35 AM PDT

Reading http://www.google.com/search?q=Converting+Film+Reels you find not only your posts but companies that do this. From this you can find the gear, the costs, the fees and develop your business plan.

What most discover is that there is no money to be made here.
Bob

Collapse -
Easy Way?
by ednachman / August 15, 2008 1:46 PM PDT

I was in the CBS Network studios in the 60's and they aimed the film projector directly into the television camera.

Collapse -
Film to DVD
by Denis Tailor / August 15, 2008 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy Way?

I'm from the UK and was a photographer for quite a few years till the ol eye sight started on its down hill approach, anywho, pointing a projector at a camera ( if this is pos) would give you a back to front image, surely, we ( thats a friend of mine and me) were asked to do that very thing for Video tape and the best way was to have a small screen and projector, 8mm are hard to come by now so I will wish you luck.........Denis

Collapse -
Oh, Really?
by Flatworm / August 15, 2008 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy Way?

No, they didn't. This wasn't how it was done at all, and would have provided unacceptable results. Film cameras operate at 24 frames per second. NTSC television displays at 30 frames per second. This results in rapidly scrolling bands if you do it your way.

The way the old guys recorded TV before the days of videotape was to use a specially constructed camera called a kinescope that operated at 30 fps, and that carefully synchronized the TV output and the framing of the camera.

It was somewhat more complex to put film on TV. One in four frames had to be repeated to make the framing match.

Collapse -
Oh, Really?
by ednachman / August 15, 2008 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh, Really?

You're correct about the kinescope. My terminology was in error.

Collapse -
Converting film reels to DVD
by Tonyshapps / August 15, 2008 8:59 PM PDT

Until I retired a little while back I owned a firm doing precisely what is asked for above. Before we installed our machinery for this process we throroughly researched the market to see what was available.

The only decent method is to opt for 'broadcast-standard' copies?

To do this we ended up with a machine from MWA Nova GmbH called the Flash Scan-8 which digitises the movie image allowing you to output on DVD and Mini-DV (the latter bein a popular production tool).

It converts from either Regular-8 or super-8 and can copy with frame rates ranging from 3-25. Offers full colour correction, a scratch reduction system and can be set for SDI, RGB, YUV, FBAS and Firewire outputs.

Take a look at their site http://www.mwa-nova.de

They have an USA outlet,

Regards
Tony
TONYSHAPPS
Editor: AV CONCEPTS

Collapse -
Capturing movie film on a PC
by mjd420nova / August 16, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

I am presently using a desktop with an Intel Core Duo CPU, 4 GB of memory, WINXPPRO, two 320 GB hard drives, a DVD burner drive, a Hauphage video capture card and an BGF Nvidia 512MB video card matched with a 22 inch widescreen LCD display. I use a regular VHSC camcorder with the video output fed directly to the input of the video capture card. I have a Telecine device, that is basically a mirror that you focus the projector (8mm movie or slide) into and the mirror reflects it unto an opaque screen. The camcorder picks it up and feeds it to the PC. There are many programs to use for the video editing portion of the operation, but you save I save it to the second hard drive. I can then edit and put together the video streams and save to the DVD. This works very well for old 8mm movies and using single frame I can also do slides too. This is very important for me as many of the 8mm movies are over 45 years old and are becoming quite brittle and this may be the last chance to save them.

Collapse -
Capturing movie film on a PC, then copying it on DVD Burner.
by resterikajm / August 16, 2008 1:10 AM PDT

Thank you for your information regarding this method of converting old movies or video tapes to dvd. i learned a lot from you. more power to you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?