Computer Help forum

General discussion

converting file for CD burning

Hi All,

First off I ought to mention that while I may not be a novice in regards to computers, I'm not too technical. Just thought it might be helpful to have that factor known upfront. With that stated I'll continue with my question.

I attended a meeting the other day that I wanted to record, but as I hadn't planned on it before hand I hadn't brought a recorder. Deciding to try and make the best of a bad situation, I made the audio recording using video setting my digital camera. It worked, although the quality isn't great. I'm assuming that there is some way that I can convert the file so that I can burn it onto CD in a format that can then be played on most standard CD players. Is that correct?

If so, here's what I've got.

The file is a QuickTime Movie file, just under 2GB in size, and it was recored using a Panasonic DMC FZ50. I'm not sure of the exact length of the recording, but I'm thinking it's probably about 90 minutes, maybe less. If I'm remembering correctly I guess therefore I'll need to split it between two CDs if it's greater than 70 minutes.

Both my home and work computers are running Windows XP.

On my home computer, in addition to any applications that come with the XP, I have a version of Nero Home Essentials SE that came with a DVD burner I had installed about a year ago. At work I also have access to some form of Roxio.

If there is any specific information that I neglected to include, just let me know and I'll fill in the blanks if I can.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: converting file for CD burning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: converting file for CD burning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am a tiny bit confused

In reply to: converting file for CD burning

Are you wanting only the audio from the meeting you recorded? If so, then it should not be a real problem to fit it all on a CD as an MP3 file. Assuming the CD players can play MP3, which many can, that would be pretty simple after you have the Quick Time file on your computer.
If that is what you want, we can continue.

Collapse -
Sorry for the confusion

In reply to: I am a tiny bit confused

In answer to your question, yes I am only interested in audio. There is no video image to speak of. And your answer demonstrates my ignorance for of even much of the common technology as I didn't realize that CD players would play MP3 files.

Collapse -
Here's how I got it done.

In reply to: converting file for CD burning

This is not a tutorial on how to use the software titles or how to install the MP3 addin of the mentioned software. If I did that, I would be duplicating the web page of the software. For brevity and the answer here it is.

1. Installed AUDACITY and the MP3 encoder.
2. Set AUDACITY to record the audio from the PC.
3. Played the video.
4. When the video ended, stopped AUDACITY and my MP3 file was...
5. Ready for use by Nero or Roxio's AudioCD creator.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Here's how I got it done.

In reply to: Here's how I got it done.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. However even the simplest stuff often won't work for me; so wish me luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.