General discussion

Converting document for eReader

I found a philatelic document of some 30 pages from the early 60s at a garage sale which I would like to "get" into my eReader for reading and annotating. If anyone has done this successfully (without actually typing the whole thing) I would appreciated any pointers and assistance. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Converting document for eReader
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Converting document for eReader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not garage sale prices.

You can research OCR and how those are part of the answer.
Bob

- Collapse -
OmniPage 17

Hi Bob.

OmniPage 17, arguably the best OCR software currently on the market, will give you 80 to 90% accuracy in Arial, Baskerville and Times Roman on perfectly-printed English, French and Spanish. On poorly printed Portuguese of the early 60s Mozambique (what I am currently translating) you are lucky to get 20% accuracy. Not really worth the time to scan and convert.

Since I wrote the original post I have been experimenting and I think I have discovered not the best, but a very workable solution. You scan each page at 300 dpi and save it in a non-loss format like png or tif. You then import the picture into an 8.5 by 11 inch page with half inch margin all around and stretch the picture to the full 7.5 by 10 inch working surface. Again and again and then export the document to pdf. You can easily read and annotate the resulting pdf document in eReader. Typewritten memos/bookmarks, however, work more effectively than handwritten notes.

Hope this helps anyone (with lots of patience and dedication).

CNET Forums

Forum Info