Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Converting Analog Video to Digital

by JJ12369 / November 11, 2003 10:42 AM PST

I am trying to convert all my Hi-8 and VHS movies to digital on my pc. I have a Hi-8 camera as well as a Sony Mini-DV (Digital) camera. My Sony camera has the capability to convert Analog (Hi-8) to Digital.

Here is my question - Do I have to copy the Hi-8 (or VHS for that matter) to the DV tape before I copy to my PC? When I try to use the DV camera as a conduit to the PC, I can see the movie playing on the PC screen (Windows Movie Maker), but when I press "Capture Video" to begin recording, it automatically begins to play and record the DV tape in my DV camera where I am wanting to record the Hi-8 tape.

I can copy the Hi-8 tape to a DV tape and then to the PC but I am wanting to elliniate this step.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Converting Analog Video to Digital
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Converting Analog Video to Digital
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Converting Analog Video to Digital
by David Chan / November 11, 2003 12:38 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Converting Analog Video to Digital
by JJ12369 / November 11, 2003 10:29 PM PST

I believe my DV camcorder would act as the analog to digital converter and thus would not need a capture card - correct? I am to use the camcorder as the converter which the instruction book says can be done. The problem I am having is that when I try to capture (I have my Hi-8 camcorder attached to my DV camcorder attached to my PC), the DV camera thinks that I am trying to capture off the DV tape and begins to play.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Converting Analog Video to Digital
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2003 11:04 PM PST

"I believe my DV camcorder would act as the analog to digital converter and thus would not need a capture card - correct?"

If you were to have such a camcorder that has the video-in, yes. You would end up pressing play on the Hi-8 and RECORD on the DV camcorder. IN SHORT, it's not going to do an ANALOG to DIGITAL on-the-fly-to-your-PC.

"I am to use the camcorder as the converter which the instruction book says can be done"

That would be cool, but I've never seen such. I do go to the trade shows and will keep this in mind, but no one has ever demonstrated an on the fly analog-in, digital-out conversion.

"The problem I am having is that when I try to capture (I have my Hi-8 camcorder attached to my DV camcorder attached to my PC), the DV camera thinks that I am trying to capture off the DV tape and begins to play."

That's what I suspect would happen. Given the generational loss and how many hours it could take to bounce video from Hi-8 camcorder to the DV camcorder, then from DV to PC, I'd run out and get a PCI TV card before you would finish your first conversions.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Converting Analog Video to Digital
by Kiddpeat / November 12, 2003 11:47 PM PST

What software are you using for the capture? If you are using the camera's software, that is probably why the camera shifts to playback mode. Try using a third party program to do the capture. As long as you can see the video on the PC, you should be able to do the capture.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Converting Analog Video to Digital
by JJ12369 / November 13, 2003 4:23 AM PST

I would think that also. I am using Windows Movie Maker. When I hit Capture Video, my Mini-DV player starts playing.

Collapse -
Ooops
by Kiddpeat / November 15, 2003 8:10 AM PST

I stand corrected. I just tried it with three video capture programs, and all three turned the camera on when I clicked the capture button. I think the problem is that they are using the camera's driver, and it always goes into play a tape mode.

Collapse -
FWIW,many Sonys have the capability to do that.............
by Tony Holmes / November 15, 2003 11:35 AM PST

You're talking about "analog to digital pass-through conversion".You're gonna have to get out the user manual and do some reading to see if your's has it.

On the Sony TRV38 it goes like this: Go to the VCR menu and find item A/V > DV OUT and set it to ON and make sure there is no tape in the mini dv,you're only using it to convert not record.

Here's a link to read through: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/capture#47 Happy Converting!
Later,Tony

Collapse -
Cool
by Kiddpeat / November 16, 2003 5:02 AM PST

I was wondering if taking the tape out would make a difference. Good info!

Collapse -
Re:Cool
by JJ12369 / November 17, 2003 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Cool

Thanks for the info. I did try to take the tape out and got an error saying that there was no tape. I will continue to research and post my findings. Thanks for everyone's help.

Collapse -
convert Hi-8 analog to DVD using my new I-Mac
by LEBLOND C. / February 7, 2007 3:33 AM PST

what should I purchase to convert and edit my HI-8 cassettes (about 25)using a converter and my new I-M computer. It appears I would need a gadget to convert my the HI-8 todigital and then edit from the computer. thank you.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2007 4:41 AM PST

Don't hide new requests for help under 3+ year old dead discussions. Make a new post next time.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.