Computer Help forum

General discussion

convert E: /fs:ntfs"

by bently / November 10, 2006 1:07 PM PST

Using Win xp home, sp2, all updates.

The following is from... PC World , Top 20 Tips for Keeping Windows XP Fresh

you can switch to NTFS without reformatting your hard disk and restoring your apps and data from a backup. Just choose Start, Run, type cmd.exe, and press <Enter> to open a Command Prompt window. Now type convert followed by a space, the drive letter, a colon, another space, and finally /fs:ntfs. For example, enter convert c: /fs:ntfs if you want to convert your C: drive to NTFS.

Tried the above and after I typed " convert E: /fs:ntfs", press enter, I get a line on the DOS screen... " Enter current volume label for drive E: _ "

I tried typing E: Local Disk, enter. Nothing happened and E drive is still FAT32.

What am I supposed to type for volume label?

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: convert E: /fs:ntfs"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: convert E: /fs:ntfs"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you check the volume label ?
by VAPCMD / November 10, 2006 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: convert E: /fs:ntfs"

Open Explorer
Right click on the drive in question
Under the General Tab note volume label
If it makes it easier...create a name like "OK"

Then repeat the conversion....it'll take place after a restart

VAPCMD

Collapse -
did it
by bently / November 10, 2006 2:06 PM PST

Thanks VAPCMD,

I found out I should NOT have typed the drive letter. Typed "local disk" only and it made the change. Picked up some usable disk space by making the change.

Thanks again,

Ben

Collapse -
Good to hear you got it converted.
by VAPCMD / November 10, 2006 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: did it

All of the HDDs in the systems I put together have volume labels so if there?s any question which drive is which, I can easily distinguish physical drives and partitions belonging to each. It can be very very helpful when creating drive images, doing image restores, formatting and partitioning drives, etc., With some disk management programs identifying HDDs as drive O and drive 1 and others calling them drive 1 and drive 2 ... volume labeling can be helpful in ensuring you?re partitioning or formatting the right drive and partition...especially when the system has more than one HDD.

For example I have an 80GB WD with two partitions ... using the volume label feature under Explorer, Properties, etc., I label the two partitions on my first HDD as "WD80-1? AND ?WD80-2?. This gives me quick reference info about the HDD . . . mfg, capacity and what partition I'm looking at no matter whether I'm looking at them under Windows or DOS programs.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
convert FAT32 device to NTFS DEVICE
by JAROSES / September 9, 2007 2:56 AM PDT

I went to properties and to find volume label for my E Drive as suggested but did not find it. The only information found under general tab are Type: Local Disk, File System: FAT32, Used Space, Free Space, Capacity and Drive E, where do I find the volume Label for Drive E.

Ang

Collapse -
Try just hitting 'Enter' ... or if so desired...
by VAPCMD / September 9, 2007 3:15 AM PDT

you could create a volume label for the drive in question and afterwards when you convert you can type the new name.

With no volume label...there's none to specify.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
convert FAT32 to NTFS
by JAROSES / September 9, 2007 5:03 AM PDT

When I hit Enter the next line says "an incorrect volume label was entered for this drive. I get the same message if I try to create one also.

Any further suggestions?

Collapse -
Here's the line by line
by VAPCMD / September 9, 2007 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: convert FAT32 to NTFS

Is this what you're trying.

Convert FAT32 to NTFS
These instruction will assist you in converting the C: partition from FAT32 to NTFS. If you wish to convert another partition instead, just use that drive letter instead of C: while following these instructions.

First, back up your data. The conversion process almost always works flawlessly, but there is no point in taking the risk.

Click the <Start> button.
Click <Run>.
Enter "cmd" into the text field labeled "Open".
Click the <OK> button.
Enter the command "vol c:" to find the volume label for the C: partition.
Enter the command "convert c: /fs:ntfs" to convert the C: partition from FAT32 to NTFS.
When prompted, enter the volume label for the partition.

Keep it mind when executed properly..you have to reboot the PC and at restart...the partition is CONVERTED to NTFS.

You may have to make sure there are no volume errors before you start.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Convert FAT32 TO NTFS
by JAROSES / September 12, 2007 3:10 PM PDT

VAPCMD

Thanks for your help. I followed you line by line steps and finally did the conversion.

Ang

Collapse -
Convert FAT32 TO NTFS
by larsdidriksen / November 3, 2007 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Convert FAT32 TO NTFS

i did these things too, but when i promted i got the line (cannot determine the filesystem of drive H:)

H. is a mybook ES500GB that i want to convert to NTFS from Fat32

anyone know why this doent work?
Lars

Collapse -
CONVERT FAT32 TO NTFS
by JAROSES / November 4, 2007 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Convert FAT32 TO NTFS

Follow all the steps above and type My Book filethen press enter when prompt for the - this should work. Wait a few minutes for the files to be loaded.

Good luck

Collapse -
reply to volume label
by thecomebackkid / October 7, 2009 11:14 AM PDT

i cannot find in the explorer, the drive in question..? im having the same problem from converting FAT32 to NTFS please help
-ian

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?