Question

Convert Composite Signal to Component or HDMI

Hi,
I finally retired my old analog TV set and have replaced it with Samsung 120 Hz 1080p machine.
My problem is: Samsung has only HDMI, USB, and a component inputs. My VCR has only composite output (Video + R/L Audio).
I searched Internet for convertors. It seems that composite to HDMI is right for me, but all I found are for (or with) 60 HZ.
Do somebody know why the frame frequency is matters for a converter? Will 60 Hz converter work with 120 Hz TV set? And what you recommend for using with Samsung 120 HZ 1080p TV set.

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Convert Composite Signal to Component or HDMI
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Convert Composite Signal to Component or HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which Samsung?

Many share the Component input and with a setting the input is composite. Sadly you left out the model number.
Bob

- Collapse -
Convert composite to component or HDMI

Bob,

Thanks for reply.

On HDMI/Component end is Samsung UN50EH6000 50 Inch 1080p 120 Hz TV set.
On the composite end is a VCR composite output of Sylvania VCR.

I found Mini Composite AV CVBS 3RCA to HDMI Video Converter Adapter 720p 1080p Upscaler on eBay and asked the seller. I got an aswer:

"...This item can't work with Sansung 1080p 120 HZ TV Se It only fits for 1080P/60Hz, 720P/60Hz."

What do you think?

- Collapse -
PLEASE supply full model numbers or a link.
- Collapse -
Composite to component

No way. The component input will accept audio channels, but for video it needs RGB components separated, not in one video channel.

- Collapse -
Then you need to scream a little

Go ahead. I see the maker and seller didn't explain how it works and I failed too. You have all you need right now. Seems a shame to buy anything but at this point you seem intent on emptying your wallet.
Bob

- Collapse -
Have you tried it?

I want to know if Bob is right or not. I guarantee it won't harm the TV. Let us know how it goes. I notice some of these adapter isn't cheap, around 50 bucks. Another way might be to use a dvd recorder that has composite input and component/hdmi output.

- Collapse -
It may not work without changing a setting.

I stopped short of copying a step from the manual because it is another shared input system. Maybe some folk need to buy adapters? I mean, why not let them? Good for the industry and economy.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
60 vs 120 doesn't matter in this case

All you need is a basic converter plug to get this to work. Your new HDTV can accept the 60Hz signal.

As Bob suggested, just check the model number/manual online to see if the included component connections (RGB) allow you to 'moonlight' via composite (R/W) cables too.

- Collapse -
Composite to HDMI/Component conversion.

Thanks for reply.

May be the frame frequency does not matter for conversion from composite to component.

But for conversion from composite to HDMI I asked a seller and got an answer:

"[Mini Composite AV CVBS 3RCA to HDMI Video Converter Adapter 720p 1080p Upscaler ] can't work with Sansung 1080p 120 HZ TV Se It only fits for 1080P/60Hz, 720P/60Hz."

- Collapse -
Then...just ruled out hdmi.

If component works then we should be smiling.

- Collapse -
Something's being lost in this discussion

Your 1080p HDTV should be able to accept a 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p & 480i signal, and all @ 60Hz. The 120Hz is only internal to the HDTV and does not come from outside.

- Collapse -
Composite to HDMI

Yes, it is what I think. But seller is saying that the supplier said that his mini converter will not work with 120 Hz Samsung.
Samsung is cautious: they write that they do not have a Samsung converter, and they know nothing about third parties' products.

Did somebody has a real experience with this problem, connecting the composite VCR to 1080p 120 Hz TV set?

- Collapse -
Not this model but close to 100 others.

The shared composite, component input is far too common and I've done this far too many times. I fear something was lost in translation here as I would not require anything more than what you have now.

I might have to hit the product manual if I can't find settings in the menus to set that input to composite.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info