General discussion

Convering from FLAC to Apple Lossless

I have some FLAC files I would like to convert to Apple Lossless, so I can add them to my Itunes library. Is there a free software or utility that will allow me to directly make this conversion?

The way I've done it in the past is to use Winamp to convert from FLAC to WAV. Then I import the WAV files into Itunes and convert to Apple Lossless. Is there any audio loss during this process?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Convering from FLAC to Apple Lossless
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Convering from FLAC to Apple Lossless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
how do i retain tags?

Well, I just Googled a little and I found out I can convert directly from FLAC to Apple Lossless using the trial version of DBpoweramp software. the only problem is i lose all my ID tags and have to reenter them manually. given the sheer volume of FLAC files i want to convert this isn't practical.

so can someone tell me how to convert FLAC to Appleless using dBpoweramp and still retain the tags?

- Collapse -
Lossless but not lossless :D

As all three formats are lossless you'll lose no more audio data than you would by zipping it and unzipping it. In case that's not clear, you'll lose not one bit. Nothing at all.

That is the *audio data*. WAV has no "tagging" support so this intermediate step will ensure no *metadata* survives the conversion. You could of course enter it manually in iTunes afterwards, but it's rather boring and the info is most likely present in your FLAC files already so it sure would be preferable to convert directly to Apple Lossless and keep the metadata intact. Alas, I cannot tell you what converter to use because I found your posting googling for precisely that..! If I do find one I like and I remember to I'll post again. I hope you will too!

- Collapse -
Use XLD

CNET Forums

Forum Info