Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Controlling Start Up Programs

by ayisha43 / June 12, 2005 12:18 PM PDT

Windows XP SP2
HP Pavillion Laptop
Zv5160us

How can I remove certain programs from my ''Start Up''
ie. When I log on to windows XP Programs like ''Roxio Drag to Disc'' and ''HP imaging software'' and a whole lot of other programs are running in the background. How can I regulate that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Controlling Start Up Programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Controlling Start Up Programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE
by dagger906 / June 12, 2005 12:33 PM PDT

There should be a Startup icon in Control Panels. Open it and edit the options.

Collapse -
I have no such Icon using XP Pro.
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

Is that correct for XP Home???

Collapse -
There are various things you can do
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 7:55 PM PDT

Try this Ayisha,

1] Goto Start > All Programs > Startup, delete any of the shortcuts there for programs you do not want to start on startup. These are shortcuts only, so deleting them will not delete the full programs.

2] Goto Start > Run and type in "msconfig", (without the quotes), and click OK.

In the "System Configuration Utility" window that displays, click the Startup tab. Here you can remove the tick for any programs that you do not want to start on startup. Be careful, some of these are needed, eg your anti-virus, and firewall if you use a third party software firewall.

When you click apply, then OK, you will be asked to restart your computer, and when you do, you will get an information box stating that you are on Selective Startup. You can stop that window from displaying each time you startup within the window itself.

3] If you have a number of icons in your System tray, (the notification area next to your clock), hover the mouse cursor over each to find out what program the icon is for, then find that program and goto it's Tools and/or Options and remove the option to start on startup. Alternatively you can double click the icon to bring up the program.

Good luck, and hope this is useful.

Mark

Collapse -
RE
by dagger906 / June 13, 2005 2:16 AM PDT

Msconfig will work, the start menu shortcut won't. Programs have the choice to not add that start menu shortcut. The spyware usually don't create that shortcut, while decent programs, like your antivirus, usually do.

Collapse -
Depends
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 13, 2005 4:36 AM PDT

Many genuine programs still place a shortcut in the Startup folder.

It's easy enough to check. Goto Start > All Programs > Startup, and anything there that Ayisha doesn't want to start on boot up can be removed. If there is none there, fair enough.

Mark

Collapse -
re
by ayisha43 / June 13, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

So how do I get to msc configure?

Collapse -
Go to; Run, type in msconfig, hit OK
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: re

then you will see the start up tab as the rightmost tab.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?