Question

Control Samsung UE55D8000 or 7000

I'm working on a home automation project and I need a tv with a rs-232 port.
The samsung tv's don't have that anymore.
Does anyone know if it's possible to control the tv via utp/ip.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Control Samsung UE55D8000 or 7000
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Control Samsung UE55D8000 or 7000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
You forgot one thing.

What would this control do?

And why wouldn't the usual solutions work? (IR Blaster or the common rs232 to ethernet things.)

Remember this is your project. I can't contribute to it.
Bob

- Collapse -
rs232

I want to control everything with an ipad.

I have a ir blaster right now (logitech harmony 900) and it controls my setupbox.
Sometimes it skipps. So when i want to change tot channel 101, it goes to 11
With rs232 i have 2 way control.

- Collapse -
So you want to write the Samsung App?
- Collapse -
rs232

Thank you for trying to find a solution.

But i'll post a link in a few so you can see what i would like

- Collapse -
Link
- Collapse -
So you're making a wheel?

Some don't know what that means so I'll expand on it. Since we have the Samsung iPad app as well as the XMBC iPad app and you want to write your own app on the iPad why not use what others have made and copy what they did?

As to the IR BLASTER wrong channel issue I found that slowing it down a little or repositioning the emitter helps to fix that.

I'm just an old PalmOS+WinMO+Android+Windows+EMBEDDED electronics and software author and have learned to use wheels where there are found and only create new stuff to fill in the gaps. Here I don't see the gap.
Bob

- Collapse -
So you're making a wheel?

No i'm not.

the advantage of RS232 is that you can also activate the device. plus RS232 works both ways. You can also get information from the device. so if the TV is connected via RS232 it'll tell the computer which source, channel, volume, etc. ..

- Collapse -
For now you have to dig in.

With those RS232 to ethernet converters as well as looking over the sources from XBMC to see what needs to be sent over the ethernet as there is no direct RS232 beyond what we have to create.

As presented it appears you are going to spend 6 months to a year developing this interface and app. I'd just use what's already out there and adjust my irblaster timing to get around that issue you noted above.

Hope this clears this up.
Bob

CNET Forums