Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Control Panel Madness

by timwerx / May 15, 2006 6:56 PM PDT

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've been given the task of going through the school's lab computers (40 PCs, all XP Pro) and cleaning out what students have saved, as well as setting everything back to ''default'' (or close to it).

I have now found that several machines' Control Panels freeze: the panel opens okay, but any further clicking where a new window does not open -- User Accounts, Printer, etc. -- doesn't work. The mouse pointer does not change to the friendly hand over the links, and further clicking gives me the busy signal. Then it just sits, with no response. I ran Trend Micro's Housecall, but that did not illuminate the problem.

Can anyone suggest something to try?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Control Panel Madness
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Control Panel Madness
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you use to protect against spyware?
by glb613 / May 15, 2006 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Control Panel Madness

There is a lot more out there than viruses.

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 15, 2006 8:40 PM PDT

Taken that these are PC's that have been used by students, unless strict measures had been taken to protect each computer from the nightmares our younger generations can and do install, download, transfer across, without regard to safety and security, my bet would be extensive spyware damage.

Mark

Collapse -
Did you right click start, control panel is listed in there
by DarCLew2 / May 15, 2006 8:45 PM PDT

At the bottom. If that doesn't work, you can try setting defaults and settings. Check to see if there are too any cookies, Temporary Internet Files and History in Internet Options and under the right click in Recent or Recent Documents were a lot is saved that can be deleted; then try to run Disk Cleanup and follow with a Defrag. I don't know what you have to clean out any tracing cookies, malware, etc. but I had worked on a WINXP Pro that a kid had used KaZaA for music downloads, had downloaded an AIM (the non AOL one and it was loaded with extra garbage & nothing worked for 2 months. He even put in gator wallet and that just gave even more garbage and it took me 4 hours to clean out all the garbage. I finally formatted the whole thing and everything was taken out and built it back up again. Took a lot to reinstall it all.

Collapse -
To Eric Legge
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 15, 2006 8:49 PM PDT

Eric,

You are continuously promoting your own site UK, "pcbuyerbeware" as a solution to computer problems in these forums.

Advertising one's own web site is against forum policies, and I have deleted your post.

Mark

Collapse -
just a thought
by jonah jones / May 15, 2006 8:50 PM PDT

you could re-install XP on all the computers and then run something like GoBack each time the computer is rebooted...

that way you're never more than a reboot from a clean computer?

Collapse -
Thank You All
by timwerx / May 15, 2006 9:33 PM PDT

I now have some things to try tomorrow when I go in. If they'd put me in charge of the lab, I could do more to control things. Anyway, I'll do what I can and make suggestions and hope for the best.....

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!