Computer Help forum

Question

Control Panel

When I go to Programs--uninstall a program, many if not most of the programs I have on my computer are not listed!!
Does anyone have suggestions as to what I need to do to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Control Panel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Control Panel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Control panel

In reply to: Control Panel

You didn't mention OS. Vista/7 programs and features control panel. What programs are not listed? A suggestion would be, download REVO UNINSTALLER and check downloaded installations with that application.

Collapse -
Control Panel

In reply to: Control panel

Sorry,
Forgot to mention I run Win 7.
There are many programs not listed. The list shown in CP seems to have a lot of Microsoft entries and other items. Sorry I am not more helpful in terms of what programs.
When I click on start button and go to programs all of them are there but not on CP.
Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for your response.

Collapse -
Program files

As Bob B mentioned, the uninstall option may or may not be in Control Panel/Programs and features. Did you by chance look under program files, Drive C? That would be another location...

Collapse -
Control Panel

In reply to: Program files

Yes, when I go into C drive I find them. Some have an uninstall option and others don't. It isn't so much that I want to uninstall a program as it was just wondering why they were not in the Control Panel/Uninstall as they were there a few days ago.
Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Add/remove

I don't think there is a standard that says a prog has to put the uninstaller in add/remove.

So maybe.....use 'W.E.' and find the progs folder.
Open the folder and with a little luck there will be an uninstaller.

Collapse -
Control Panel

In reply to: Add/remove

Thanks for your response Bob.
I can find them on my C Drive under programs. But as you say some have uninstall options and some don't. Don't know how you are supposed to remove a program if it doesn't have an uninstall option!!.
Thanks again for your assistance.
This probably sounds dumb but what does "W.E." stand for?
Mike

Collapse -
(NT) W.E.>windows explorer

Collapse -
Control Panel

In reply to: W.E.>windows explorer

Thanks Bob,
I thought maybe that was what it stood for but decided to ask, rather than assume.
Mike

Collapse -
Answer
In regards to programs that are not in the Uninstall panel.

The concept of making it easier to uninstall Programs (let's use the word Apps?) happened in Windows 95 (1995.)

It was a breakthough but was not mandated at the time. Here we are 2 decades later and many are still learning that Apps don't have to be in that listing.

Microsoft was afraid of losing developers and apps at the time so Microsoft didn't mandate that apps be listed in that area of the control panel.

Today, folk ask what apps are not listed or vanish. It's very simple. The OS does not mandate it and it's just a simple non-mandate list of apps. Many system cleaners and malware can clear whats on the list and there is no tool to re-populate it when it goes away.

-> I see REVO UNINSTALLER was noted. Great tool.
Bob

Collapse -
Control Panel

In reply to: In regards to programs that are not in the Uninstall panel.

Thanks R.Proffitt,
I did not know that items could be in the Uninstall section one day and then not be there the next day.
I was trying to find out how to get them back but apparently from what you say that won't be possible.
Mike

Collapse -
So far...

So far no apps I know offer repair to the add/remove list. One common repair I can do is to remove the app then reinstall it. Usually too much trouble over a missing entry to me when Revo can stand in when control panel won't do.

I've asked around and it appears that folk today would be OK with Microsoft being more draconian about this area. If your app doesn't show up in the panel for removal it won't install or get into the Microsoft market.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!