TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

contrast ratio explained please?

by d12malu / September 14, 2004 11:23 AM PDT

Recently, a friend of mine purchased a 42" Electrograph EDTV Plasma after having been told by the salesman that his intial choice, the Samsung (model #SPN4235) 42" plasma, is old and has a lot of problems (don't know the model name for Electrograph but around the $2,000-$2,500 range). The Electrograph is listed as having a 4000:1 contrast ratio. The store then decides to ship a Maxent plasma screen around the same price range. I call the store for my friend to find out the differences and the Maxent is listed as having a 1000:1 contrast ratio. I ask for the right plasma screen to be shipped and he begins to explain to me that contrast ratio is always wrong and Electrograph and Panasonic both use different measuring numbers than other companies. While I believe numbers may be off, I dont believe you can lie so much to where it becomes false advertising. The Electrograph had 4000:1 contrast ratio and 780 cd/m2 compared to 700 for the Maxent and the salesman tells me its the same plasma and the Maxent is actually better and more expensive. Is he getting ripped off from the store (the store basically chose the plasma tv for him), or can manufacturers list contrast ratio however they please? I have never heard about using different tests for contrast ratio.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: contrast ratio explained please?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: contrast ratio explained please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: contrast ratio explained please?
by Art / September 19, 2004 7:06 AM PDT

I don't think manufacturer list contrast ratio anyway they want (maybe only salesmen can do that, hehe). I don't how much better a 4000:1 screen is to the 1000:1 screen but I think the issue is that your friend didn't get what he ordered and he certainly has the right to return it if he so choose. But before he do that, he should compare the 2 screens, maybe he might be really getting a better screen as the salesman claimed (but I have my own thought on that). Just my 2 cents.

Collapse -
Re: contrast ratio explained please?
by ctyson / October 22, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

I have read that contrast ratios can be misleading. And it has something to do with how these numbers are derived. However, I think that a TV with contrast ratio of 4000:1 would definitely have better contrast and deeper blacks than one with a 1000:1 ratio. I don't think the difference in testing would skew the numbers by a factor of 4. But keep in mind that contrast ratios alone do not determine the value of a particular TV. MY Pioneer PDP-4340HD has contrast ratio of 1100:1 but it is the best plasma TV in it's class (see c|net review). Do the research on both sets and then decide. But ultimately it should be your choice!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.