Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Continuring virus problem

by Steve_R / December 16, 2007 7:35 AM PST

I have trojans/virus that I can't seem to get rid of.
They show up in my program list and I can't remove them
by using add/remove programs from the control panel.
They include X-Spruce.exe, Outerinfo and Yazzle. Any suggestions
on how to get rid of these. I have AVG anit-virus, ad-aware and
a firewall. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Continuring virus problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Continuring virus problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One issue we always have to tackle is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 7:40 AM PST

Where does the user think they are coming from. Sometimes it's the junk email the users keep opening but today the number 1 infection point is P2P use. Be sure that you are shutting down the means of infections as well as cleaning it up and out of the PC.

Bob

Collapse -
Check the Following Link>>>>
by tobeach / December 16, 2007 4:06 PM PST
Collapse -
Another Suggestion
by Bugbatter / December 17, 2007 10:58 AM PST

The uninstaller mentioned in that thread has had some security issues.

Steve_R, a safer procedure would be to download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware
http://www.superantispyware.com/
It is free for Home Users.

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe to install and use the default settings for installation.
* Run SUPERAntiSypware and update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates"
Note: If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from:
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options available. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Place a checkmark next to items you wish to remove/quarantine and Click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete".
* Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Select "Close" to exit the program.[/list]

If the above instructions do not help, I suggest downloading HijackThis so you can have someone help you remove any remaining infections.
Please click Here to download HijackThis to your desktop.

If not available use this alternate link:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

* Click the Download button. When the Trend Micro HJT install box appears, double click on the HJTInstall.exe. Click on Install.
* It will be installed by default here: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
* A shortcut to the application will also be placed on your Desktop.
* The program will open automatically after installation.
* You can double-click the icon that was placed on the Desktop to run subsequent HijackThis scans or you can use the icon inside the folder. The folder HijackThis is where you will find the HJT logs that you save. When you use the application to remove anything, you will also find the backup copies made by HJT inside this folder.
* The first time you open HijackThis, check the Main Menu button at the bottom center. When the main menu appears check the box "Show this window when I start HijackThis".
* Click on "Do a system scan and save logfile." When the log pops up in Notepad, copy and paste that file back here as a New Message in this forum.
* DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
* Before closing HJT, please click on the AnalyzeThis button. "Analyze This" is for use by TrendMicro, and DOES NOT mean "Analyze My Log". You will need to post your log on a Hijackthis forum. There is a list on the webpage that opens after you click the "Analyze This" button.
Additional forums for help are listed here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=255339&messageID=2533167

* Close the web page that appeared and then close the program.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for Catching Security Issue I Missed! My Bad!
by tobeach / December 17, 2007 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Another Suggestion
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.