General discussion

Continuous Video Issues

Maybe somebody out there can help me with a video problem with my PC. This has been an ongoing issue, and has wracked my brain for some time. I will try to explain in as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance for any help offered, or just for taking the time to read all of this.

The Problem(s):
Almost ALL of the time, there is a delay in my display. Imagine opening a window on one part of the screen, the dragging it across the screen. In trying to do this, the image will move in slow motion, and leave a "trailing" delay effect. Videos will play with a choppy delay, as will games. Mind that this does not happen all of the time (only about 90% of the time). I also get a notification that my "display driver has stopped working" almost every time I bring the computer out of screen hibernation mode. Another issue, being that the screen will sometimes (but not frequently) become littered with random pixels (sometimes to the point where I can't see what I'm looking at)(a reboot fixes it).

The Hardware:
Windows Vista Ultimate Full Edition (32 bit version)
OEM AMD Phenom II x3 720 Black Edition Triple Core 2.8 GHz CPU
ASUS M3n72-D NVIDIA 750A SLI Motherboard
8GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT Graphics Card
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

Solution Attempts:
1. All video card & other system drivers are up to date
2. Motherboard drivers & BIOS up to date
3. Upgraded power supply to 1050 watt (but nothing changed)
4. Windows current with updates
5. Plenty of internal fans, so no overheating issue
6. Checked all connections, cables & card seeding

Questions:
Could this be a compatibility issue with the motherboard & video card?

Could the video card be defective in some way?

If it is a video card issue, what are some recommended brands/models that are good for gaming, but won't break my bank account?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Continuous Video Issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Continuous Video Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A little confused

with your hardware specs

"Windows Vista Ultimate Full Edition (32 bit version)"
"8GB Ram"

- Collapse -
Hardware Specs

8GB RAM installed (4 2GB Cards), although 32 Bit version will only acknowledge 4GB RAM. I was originally planning on using the 64 bit version of Vista, but decided against it do to program conflicts.

- Collapse -
Update

The "pixelation" is becoming more frequent. So far, I have had to reboot twice today.

- Collapse -
Memory Correction

It is actually 4GB RAM, and not 8GB as previously stated.

- Collapse -
Looks like a bad configuration.

I've lost count on 4+GB RAM machines, 32 bit OS and issues. What's worse can be explaining it a few more times. PLEASE talk to the folk that made your machine and have them correct that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Possible Solution?

Do you think that removing one or two of the DIMMs will solve the issues?

- Collapse -
Easy enough to test.

Sorry but I see that you have changed your machine's specs so my answer no longer applies.

If there is no hardware issue such as heat (very common on home brew machines) you may want to ask the designer of this machine to show you the Windows install instructions.

That's another area I find troublesome for home brew or built machines. Remember I do not have those instructions. Only GENERIC versions I use but that does not matter. YOU or the builder should share this so others can note if they see any issue there.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info