Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

CONTINUING GLITCH - ''posting a thread which become a message instead''

by Cursorcowboy / March 31, 2004 10:06 PM PST

This anomaly keeps happens regardless of having used only the forum software functions provided and not having using any browser or keyboard functions -- such as the backspace key or "Back" button using Win98FE/MSIE v5.01SP2.

Bill Gaston

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CONTINUING GLITCH - ''posting a thread which become a message instead''
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CONTINUING GLITCH - ''posting a thread which become a message instead''
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need a some clarification here...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 1, 2004 7:55 AM PST

Bill is it when you reply to a thread that has been already started, it posts a new top level discussion?

Let me know if this is the case or another...

Something strange just happened when I responded to your thread (this one) it never showed up. Strange.. let's see if this one goes through.

Thanks,
-Lee

Collapse -
Thanks -- & I'm well aware of those browser buttons.
by Cursorcowboy / April 1, 2004 9:22 PM PST

On occasion, and yesterday at the Win95/8 forum, I was posting a "reply" and was paying attention to what I was doing and used the Go Back/Edit button to edit something I had said. When finishing up and posting, the thread was posted as a message, which was obvious since the main forum page gets rendered instead of you staying in the group where the post should occur.

I really believe the cause of this anomaly is contributed mainly from the heavy use of HTML coding and the process which the forum software must go through to convert it before displaying, and there is a glitch in there somewhere. Strange software process that we as users enter one thing and the software has to change it to something else.

Collapse -
Yeah I think the page codes need to be revisited big time...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 2, 2004 7:36 AM PST

I'm even afraid the forum slow down might be due to some old codes that are in the HTML that are hanging up the forums performance.

Time will tell.

Thanks Bill..
-Lee

Collapse -
Lee, did you get a chance to check this out?

The software doesn't say what coding a browser is to expect, but running it through a validator for various code types it has the lowest error rate with HTML 4 Transitional. I don't know what the Jive people used to code the software, but it doesn't seem to fit a particular standard. Just for grins I recoded one page and put on a server to show it could be done without too much problem. Easiest method was to enter the page into a page builder program that conforms to standards and then resave it, run the validator and make corrections the html program missed. Took about 20 minutes.

The problem however is probably more extensive than the template files, existing in how the software handles data requests and the coding that is programmed to provide input back into the template page. That'll require a rework of the programming itself. Probably the quickest fix would be to get that POST DATA to drop off when it's supposed to, but maybe some problems could be alleviated with template adjustment. If however the problems are in the input from the program itself, my condolences.

POST DATA function surviving page change, when it should have dropped.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=16300&start=0

Post about HTML changes with an example page. Comparison to existing coding.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=16903&messageID=188538

Collapse -
Something that might help.
by James Denison / April 3, 2004 5:46 AM PST

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-jive.html

"The only problem we had was that we were at JSP .92, and Jive required JSP 1.0 or higher, so I spent a few days upgrading to the latest JSP specification."

I've seen this one below happen on a slow download.
Iterate through all the threads in the forum, printing the name of each one.

Wise statement below;
"While I could have modified the SQL in the Jive code to look in our user table rather than Jive's, I decided it would be simpler and require a lot less future
maintenance to just use the Jive user table."

Probably the easiest fix;
"Because we require that all forum posters be lockerjock users, I modified the
Jive JSP files to check the session for the presence of both a Jive user and a lockerjock user. A user is allowed to interact with Jive only when both are
present. "

Good advice on that page and coding to show how.

Collapse -
NT Thank you James, forwarding your suggestions to the engineers
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 5, 2004 4:30 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re:CONTINUING GLITCH - ''double information of posted date & time''
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.