Computer Help forum

General discussion

Continueing Problem With Dell Support

by ScrnE011 / March 1, 2007 1:56 PM PST

System Specs: Dell Inspiron 6000; Windows Xp Media Center Edition

Ok here is the story. I bought my Dell Inspiron 6000 a little over a year ago. A few months after purchase I started to have my problems. The Ac Adapter for the laptop randomly stopped working. I went to the Dell website and talked to a Dell Technician; and they shipped a replacement. However, that was not the end of my troubles. A little while later the second AC Adapter randomly stopped working. Once again I talked to a Dell technician and received a replacement. However, not to long later, that one randomly broke. I contacted Dell again and this time the person said that I needed a replacement Motherboard. The person then asked for my information so he could send the motherboard to a technician to install it.

At first I was happy that the problem that was causing my AC Adapters to break was going to be fixed. However, a week later, and I have not received any call from a technician who was suppose to call to setup a appointment to come to my house and install the new motherboard. It then took like 4 times contacting Dell to get a phone call from a technician finally (like over a month later). So I setup an appointment and the technician came and installed the motherboard.

I would like to say that this was the end of my journey, but it is not. The technician said that the motherboard he had received from Dell was missing the right graphics board port (?). He said that he would get one shipped, and come back to install it when he got it. He told me that until that happens, however, I have a working laptop. I could use it, but the graphics didn't work well (do to the wrong graphics card in the system). So every time I started up the system and log-in, I was greeted by a message asking me to install new hardware. I didn't want to install the graphics card because the technician had said it was the wrong one. So I just canceled out of them.

The first thing I did on my computer was check my system specs. I right clicked "My Computer" and clicked on properties. The info seemed ok accept for one thing. It was claiming that I only had 0.99GB of ram. I got confused and feared somehow installing the motherboard took away some of my system memory. I also didn't have a working Ac Adapter. They were suppose to ship a new Ac Adapter as well, but that must have gotten lost in one of the many contacts I made to them, trying to get the technician to come.

Curios about the 0.99GB of ram thing, and wanting an AC Adapter to be shipped, I emailed Dell once again. In the emailed I explained that a technician recently installed a new motherboard in my laptop. I also said, that he said the graphic board port was missing (or wrong). Then I asked about the fact that I had less RAM then before. I also asked for a new AC Adapter as well.

The reply I got back was disappointing. The email I got back from Dell told me that for this issue, a special case depot service was required. I would have to send my system to them for a complete inspection and any necessary parts to be replaced. I was saddened that what I had originally thought was a small problem was turning into a two month long journey. DHL came and picked up my laptop and I waited another week and a half before I got it back yesterday (with an AC Adapter as well!).

A note came with my laptop, and what it said made me want to bash my head into a wall. It had a list of everything they inspected and a place to write a check mark if they replaced that part of the system. The only thing checked for me was that the problem was because I needed to install new hardware. So a week and a half and they basically did nothing. I started up my machine and installed the hardware. After I did this, my graphics immediately sped up.
Know I was extra confused because I knew the first technician, who installed the motherboard, had said something about the graphics card being wrong.

So I went to Dell.com and found their Windows Vista readiness advisor. I downloaded it to see what my system specs were. All the system specs passed there advisor? except my ?graphics experience.? Suddenly my graphic card isn?t good enough to use Vista Aero?! Know this confused me, because, I could have sworn that I had a powerful graphics card before. So I went and looked up the system specs of my order when I first ordered my laptop.

My graphics card then: 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300Video Card, for Inspiron 6000

My graphics card now: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

So that means I have to go contact Dell support AGAIN!!!
Has anyone else had this level of poor quality customer service from Dell before?

p.s. Sorry for the long post...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Continueing Problem With Dell Support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Continueing Problem With Dell Support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually it appears that Dell Support...
by Edward ODaniel / March 2, 2007 12:19 AM PST

has been more than helpful to you.

From your own words it appears that the most recent problem (motherboard replacement and graphics) derives from the tech who performed the replacement and later from your not including full information about what the tech told you when you sent the laptop for repair.

Now, as far as the Vista Compatibility, your laptop is a year old and Vista was only very recently released. Does your Inspiron 6000 have a "Designed for Windows XP / Windows Vista Capable" sticker on it?

The graphics card and the wireless can be made to work by using the regular XP drivers but since the graphics drivers aren't WDDM signed Aero will not run.

This is NOT a Dell Support problem, it is a consumer with "old" equipment and technology.

Collapse -
I think you are mistaken
by ScrnE011 / March 2, 2007 1:29 AM PST

Your computer doesn't need to have a "Windows Vista Capable" sticker on it. As long as your computer has powerful enough hardware, Vista will work on the machine (including Aero). Before the new motherboard was replaced, my computer was capable to run windows vista, and the Aero.
I think you also mistake this post as a Windows Vista requirment question. It is not. I simply ran the Dell Readiness Advisor to see what my system specs were. If you read my post, you would see that I have a less powerful system now, after the new motherboard then I did with the old motherboard. So they made the mistake of giving me the wrong motherboard.

Collapse -
No, no mistake...
by Edward ODaniel / March 3, 2007 3:37 AM PST

without the "Vista Compatible" sticker there is NO guarantee that the hardware the computer came with will run Vista although most will. Having said that, even though an unsupported graphics card can be used it will not support AERO unless it already hass all the features that AERO requires that many year old cards do not provide.

You can still look up the manufacturer specs for that Inspirion and you will note that the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 GM just doesn't have what it takes for AERO.

Explanation of the Windows Vista? Capable Program

Microsoft requires that a Windows Vista Capable PC have a modern processor and 512MB RAM (memory); however, to enjoy the Windows Vista Aero experience, you should configure your system with the following hardware components:

* A Pentium class or Dual Core processor
* A performance hard drive (7200 RPM or more), when available
* Non-integrated graphics
* DVD-capable optical drive
* 1GB (one gigabyte) or more of Dual Channel (two or more memory modules) RAM (memory)

My last Pentium Pro machine didn't support USB although USB was being added to other motherboards with P II and P III processors - not the fault of either manufacturer nor system builder nor even Microsoft, just the use of older technology not fully supporting the latest greatest...

Collapse -
My Computer Meets all the requirments you listed
by ScrnE015 / March 3, 2007 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: No, no mistake...

exept the graphics card. Which is the point of my post. When they repaored my system, they gave me a less powerful motherboard. if you read my post I said:

"My graphics card then: 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300Video Card, for Inspiron 6000

My graphics card now: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family"

So I should have the 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300Video Card, which is Vista capable, not the Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family, which, as you said, is not Vista capable.

Collapse -
"So a week and a half and they basically did nothing" seems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 12:38 AM PST

Odd. Did DHL have your laptop or Dell?

Bob

Collapse -
DHL
by ScrnE011 / March 2, 2007 2:32 AM PST

DHL picked up the laptop and brought it to them, then they shipped it back using DHL.

Collapse -
What I meant was..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: DHL

Some will claim Dell has it the 1.5 weeks. When shipping could account for 7 or more days. Dell may have turned it around quickly.

Bob

Collapse -
Mostly DHL Had it
by ScrnE015 / March 3, 2007 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: What I meant was..

The system was gone for about 5 buissness days.
3 of those days, the system was with DHL. So Dell only had it for 2 days.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!