Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Content Advisor XP Home

by Lyn Layton / February 16, 2004 6:40 AM PST

My father tells me that, most of the time when he opens a new window he gets a dropdown "Content Advisor" that will not let him view the window until he types his password and Enter (or check O.K.) Sometimes it comes up several times while moving thru the window. If he removes his password will he be able to avoid this problem? If so, I understand the procedure is Start>Run>type "CONTOL userpasswords2". Then OK. This way he can uncheck any passwords that he does not want, including the Administrator. I do not have XP, so I am doing long-distance guessing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Content Advisor XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Content Advisor XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Content Advisor XP Home
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 8:30 AM PST

Lyn,

"CONTROL userpasswords2" will give him the ability to change the "log in" passwords, but I don't think it will fix his problem with the "Content Adviser" issue.

Have him try the instructions at this link first and make sure he is logged in as an "administrator":

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q242037

If that doesn't get it done, then the instructions below are worth checking as this was the manual method that I've used on other Windows systems, although I haven't used in on Windows XP. Make sure he makes a backup of the registry before using these instructions.:

The following steps will remove any password set in the Internet Explorer Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its original state.
1) Click on Start and choose Run.
2) Type in RegEdit and select OK.
3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
4) Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version and Policies.
5) Now click on the Ratings folder.
6) In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called Key. RIGHT click on it and choose Delete.
7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.
Cool Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.
9) Click on ?Tools? in the upper left, choose ?Internet Options? (or Options for version 3.x)
10) Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank You
by Lyn Layton / February 16, 2004 9:05 AM PST

Many thanks, Grif. I had Googled it earlier and kept coming up with IE solutions, but he seemed to think it was an XP error. I think he must have not realized it was happening while he was online??? I am going to try your remedy as soon as I can gain access to his computer.

Collapse -
(NT) Lyn, You're Welcome !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You

Collapse -
Please, One More Question
by Lyn Layton / February 17, 2004 12:33 AM PST

This question might belong over in V&SA, but I figured that I would continue this thread. After researching this issue a bit more, and interrogating my father, I am wondering if Content Advisor is popping up because those websites do, in fact, have undesirable content, or whether this would happen if his computer has a parasite that would be trying to access such sites. If it is the latter, I will try doing a long-distance installation of Spybot, and if it is the former, perhaps I should leave Content Advisor the way it is. To summarize: Could Content Advisor be activated by a parasite?

Collapse -
Lyn, Your Suggestion Sounds Possible To Me...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 12:50 AM PST

...although the "Content Advisor" requires a specific set of rules established in the "Approved Sites" or "Ratings" section. I don't believe it would be a spyware problem although "undesirable" content is a good possibility. Read the link below and see what you think:

Browse the Web with Content Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/contentadv/config.asp

My guess is that the "Ratings" slider, or the "Approved sites" section has been incorrectly set. Still, installing a spyware removal tool is always a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Again, Thanks
by Lyn Layton / February 17, 2004 1:53 AM PST

Thank you for the info. I shall print the article and deal with the problem ASAP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?